FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Vallejo Acrylic Paint

Vallejo Acrylic Paint 10 years 8 months ago #1727

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
Picked up a bottle of Vallejo Acrylic paint today to experiment with. Figured I would paint a few underframes of boxcars to see how well this stuff works and my ability to work with it. Purchased a bottle of Black Grey Model Color only to find out after I got home and looked on the Vallejo web site that they make a brand specifically to be airbrushed. Any suggestions on thinning ratios for this Vallejo Model Color brand of paint? And if so, what was the thinner used? Also curious as to the general opinion of these paints.
Fishnmack
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Vallejo Acrylic Paint 10 years 8 months ago #1728

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
Just had an "Onward Through The Fog" moment and tried spraying that Vallejo Model Color paint. First off, that stuff is VERY thick, think the cheap craft paint from craft stores. I thinned it about three parts Testor's Universal Acrylic Thinner to one part paint and then set my battery operated paint mixer into the jar. Whipped that stuff into a foam nothing flat, but had enough liquid in the jar to spray. Used my cheap external mix airbrush and shot three boxcar frames. Sprays very smooth and even, although the Black Grey mix has a bit more of a dark green hue than I really would prefer. Clean up was really easy, the airbrush cleaned up with Windex in quick order and the jar/siphon was cleaned with dish soap water. Although it is still drying, the paint finish appears to be smooth and even. Those frames will sit for a few days and then will be evaluated for final results. I am still very interested in other people's experience with this paint.
Fishnmack

Vallejo Acrylic Paint 10 years 8 months ago #1742

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
shame on you for telling us a great story and then making us wait to see the results!!! make it quick!

Vallejo Acrylic Paint 10 years 8 months ago #1744

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
Made a trip to Ugly Pass and back, figured about two days worth of drying and curing time should be ample time to honestly re-evaluate the painted boxcar frames. Nice even finish and the color covered evenly as well. Tried to rub the paint off in a section. The paint stayed put, but the finish went from a flat to a satin-ish look. The dark green hue that concerned me earlier is gone, the color name of black grey is a fitting description although it could stand to be a shade darker. This color of paint will more than likely be a great foundation to have lighter colors such as "rust", "dust" and "dirt" applied to. Maybe a dark wash would be able to produce highlights. All sorts of possibilities exist with this paint. For a spur of the moment experiment, I am fairly pleased with the results.
Fishnmack
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 1, 1953
The last Hall "banjo-style" signals are removed from service, and are replaced with color-light signals.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements