FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: XMt & XMtx

XMt & XMtx 9 years 8 months ago #3356

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
This has been one of those projects I finally got around to. I received a BLI Peoria & Eastern, 7/8 end box yesterday. The dimensions are accurate as far as the print published in RMC 1/95 USRA derivatives, thus said the Westerfield model is a scale 9" too short!!! The dismantle went very quick and the roof surgery wasn't bad at all. I have some time tomorrow and should get it in paint, at that point I will get some photos up of a fairly simple kitbash.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

XMt & XMtx 9 years 8 months ago #3361

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
I didn't get as far as desired today, but made suitable progress. The bash had went smooth to this point, and I had kicked the idea around of doing 4-6 of them. Then I realized there were not enough roofs to do the amount desired, so then off to make a pattern for resin casting. A few slices and cuts with the razor saw and the roof was off. I have the roof with walk, and cut down a Red Caboose 1937 AAR seven panel Superior to give it that Reading touch of the 50's. Hopefully paint will be tomorrow and completion by the weekend. Here are some pics for those interested in doing the same.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: t1nut, Rob

XMt & XMtx 9 years 8 months ago #3364

very nice work!

XMt & XMtx 9 years 8 months ago #3367

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
I realized today when I studied the BLI floor detail something just didn't look right. When upon further inspection the air reservoir and AB valve had to be moved. In doing so my clumsiness broke some of the detail, so I scavenged the brake rigging from that '37 AAR donor, and used good old Tichy for the remaining. Here I have it in primer, and the old mounting holes are still visible on the floor. Lastly, that car-knocker posing by the XMt is what made me notice the location of the tank offset from the door.
Attachments:

XMt & XMtx 9 years 8 months ago #3375

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
I was able to really make some progress today on this project. Earlier on I stated that the Westerfield USRA derivative boxcar was much shorter, well the first picture is that comparison. It is all but an 1/8"!!! Anyway moving forward, the paint dried overnight ready to decal. These were the old Rhodes train shop #209, with all very close data. Then the dull cote and red wash to age the car appropriately. Later, I installed the floor, just snaps in, added #58 whisker couplers, and there we have it. This was a fairly easy project to complete, I would like to thank Rob's keen eye for this subject, and John Hall's patience uploading all the data on these cars. It just happens that RDG 100228 stayed in service till 1960, I guess they got there monies worth out this one. Hope you enjoyed this as much I did, Bill.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoannaBill, Rob
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 24, 1949
Service on the "King Coal" train from Philadelphia to Shamokin is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements