FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: XMt & XMtx

XMt & XMtx 10 years 3 months ago #2513

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
I have been eyeing up the Broadway Limited NYC boxcars lately. In fact Factory Direct trains is running a sale on them now which peaked my attention. From 1925 and into the sixties Reading had 500 XMt class cars that had the same 4 panel sides as this BL model. We have been using the similar PRR car for XMt and XMu boxcars because they are close..... The much produced PRR X-29 has 5 panels though.
This might go for the XMu class cars also, to a degree, at least a better choice if your kit bashing a car with the flat end.

I am not an expert on boxcar ends for sure but I am looking at a car that almost has to be closer then an X-29. The biggest question is probably roof and end detail now (doors are an easier fix) The cars listed for sale have either a dreadnaught end or a "corrugated" end. The Reading's ACF produced XMt's 100000 to 100499 had a similar end, but I believe it was a Murphy end. The XMt photo on this website's box car roster is from the Standard batch and has the "flat" end, however the XMt shown in the Bossler "Color Guide' has the described end.

Anybody else that is more into ends check this out? Any other opinions out there? I am thinking maybe some Non-revenue or "historic resurrections" for my operations.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

XMt & XMtx 10 years 3 months ago #2514

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
In studying the kit bash nature of these cars my knowledge is this. The sides and "Murphy" ends will work for this car. The roof however I believe is a Pullman flat panel (X-29) style. During the era of this cars construction they were common just as the Pullman flat end (X29), the XMt photo illustrates on this site. I think somewhere in my collection there is a photo suggesting this roof style, I may be wrong. The NYC cars are greatly detailed in the "Essential Freight Cars" series No. 34 RMC 10/2006. Ted Culotta left no stone unturned. I have been working on an accurate version of the XMu and some information spilled over to this series of box. My suggestion, if you can find a flat kit of the NYC USRA box Westerfield 2900 series for sides and ends, Funaro & Camerlengo B&M 6000 for the roof and ends, and Diamond Scale Models decal set #209 (if you can find them) would do an excellent representation on this class. If this is too much hassle a reworked version of the earlier style NYC car with Murphy ends would be better than the X-29 so commonly used. I hope this insight is of some value, Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

XMt & XMtx 10 years 3 months ago #2515

• Rob
lol, Diamond Scale decals aka, John Hall aka Dunlap Depot aka Norm Rhoads decals....... I have to turn to my left and open the box for 17 sets... along with all the other sets that still exist. including some Pennsy sets. Unfortunately there are some that will never come back, as Rail Graphics lost the artwork. Once these are gone Norm has no motivation to rebuild the artwork. Fortunately for the rest of the world, Tom is working on it.......

BTW, Most of these are technically for sale.

But really, about the XMt, thanks for that info.

Rob

XMt & XMtx 10 years 3 months ago #2539

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Those cars certainly do solve the 4 panel side situation. And as Bill said
The 7/8 Murphy end would be correct for half of the XMt class as well. I believe all
of the XMt's had the flat roofs (not totally sure on that), which I was thinking of making by just sanding down and overlaying the stock roof. Nice find Rob.

XMt & XMtx 10 years 3 months ago #2540

• Rob
Yes, I am going to order two and play around with them. Looking at the ends in the ad and the ends of the car in the Color Guide by Bossler I feel that 2 out of three ain't bad. Ill figure out the roof after I get them. Most likely headed to MOW service any way in 1974 or "MY" Reading's "steam program" right next to the 117 and 1812.

Rob

XMt & XMtx 10 years 2 months ago #2724

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
I was going through some of my Reading books and possibly came up with validation to the roof mystery. In Reading Diesels Vol. 1, page 112, the photo must have been taken from the Spruce St. tower. If you look to the left the Murphy ends are quite apparent, along with the lack of any external roof ribbing. The boxcar also sports a six panel Superior door, unfortunately a car number can't be identified for modeling purposes. Now, smash an RS-3 into one, as seen on the rear page of the Bee Line Vol. 3 of 1997, and the roof mystery solved. I knew it was somewhere buried in my library!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by LNE-401. Reason: addittion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 24, 1859
A new terminal opened at Broad and Callowhill Streets in Philadelphia, north of the old facility at Cherry Street.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements