FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reading Lines hoppers

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3804

I was able to buy a set of MTH Reading Lines coal hoppers in green. Is this a prototypical color for Reading Lines?
I'm hoping that somebody with more knowledge of the Reading railroad, then me, would know for sure. Thank you.

Lee Fritz
My grandfather, C. D. Fritz, retired from the Reading Company.
I graduated from Muhlenberg High in Laureldale PA.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3805

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Lee...what scale are your MTH cars?If ho,the only cars that I know of that MTH produced were the gondolas.They were painted green with yellow lettering.
As far as RDG hopper cars used for coal,ore and stone service,they were painted black.Rdg also converted some of their 50ft offset hoppers into covered hoppers for sand service and I believe at least one of them was painted green with yellow lettering.

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3809

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
2771-chris wrote:
Lee...what scale are your MTH cars?If ho,the only cars that I know of that MTH produced were the gondolas.They were painted green with yellow lettering.
As far as RDG hopper cars used for coal,ore and stone service,they were painted black.Rdg also converted some of their 50ft offset hoppers into covered hoppers for sand service and I believe at least one of them was painted green with yellow lettering.

The hoppers that were converted to LOa,b,c covered hoppers were from the 33' twin bay classes I believe. The offset hoppers were not used for this class, but I think the HTj were. And the green/yellow hopper was from class LOf or LOg. Someone please verify for me as I do not have access to my color guide at this time

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3810

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
In my previous post I meant to say 50 ton offset,not 50ft offset.Anyway, the hoppers I was talking about were RDG class LOp.These cars were converted from the HTx class of hoppers.According to the color guide there were sixteen of them and it states that its the only known case where an entire class of RDG covered hoppers was painted green with yellow lettering.On page 59 of the color guide there are three pictures showing this class,but to me,they all look like they are painted black.

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3812

These are O gauge or O scale three rail by MTH. The numbers on the hopper cars are 41720 through 41725, four bay hoppers, class HTe if I read the info correctly. Other info; CAPY 200,000 LD LMT 203,000 LT WT 60,000
CU FT 3433, built 7-71, Ore service between Joanna and Bethlehem.
Green with yellow lettering, READING(no word after Reading).
I don't have the MTH box that this set came in.

Thank you for the information on the Reading hopper cars.

I read the previous postings and it is possible that MTH made this set as they saw fit to make it.
Also asked my dad who used to live in Reading PA area and he said that he never saw a green hopper car, green boxcars yes.

Lee Fritz
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by phillyreading.

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3814

I paid $106.00 with shipping for the six car set, or about $17.66 a car.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.640 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 23, 1955
The Blandon Low Grade line enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements