FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reading Lines hoppers

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3815

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
The open hoppers that were painted green had roofs and hatches added and were designated class LOp. They started as 55T offset hoppers, were painted gree, and lettered with yellow "speed" lettering. The HTe class were 100T three-bay hoppers and were black with white lettering.
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3824

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
Just opened up my book, and realized i never even read the info on these hoppers! they were outside of my modeling era so I never paid much attention. After looking carefully at the pictures, I definitely see a vague shade of green in them! The lettering looks terribly faded to almost white though, which doesn't help much.

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3826

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
"O" my MTH, the green 100 ton Reading hoppers, at least 12 individually numbered with yellow lettering. The shame of it The cars lettering and number series are right on - except it is green and yellow instead of black and white. These cars even have reinforcement channel on the top chord, but they are four bays, which throws them back out the window. Well they do look pretty - I guess. below is the only photo I could find of one, on a friend's "O" layout, kind of a glancing side view.

Picture038a.jpg

Also here is a shot of my version of the LOp covered hopper car along with an LOf in green in HO. Not perfect but keeps me content.

2014-12-15LOPLOf.jpg
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Rob.

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3827

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
Rob...I think both look good.I have a ton of Athearn offset hoppers and I think I'm going to have to do a few of these.The paint scheme is nice which really highlights the uniqueness of the LOp's

I have my ideas,but what did you use for the roof and what's the wording on the yellow panel?

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3829

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
Yellow panel wording-

Return to Millville NJ
PRSL when empty

John Caples

2771-chris wrote:
Rob...I think both look good.I have a ton of Athearn offset hoppers and I think I'm going to have to do a few of these.The paint scheme is nice which really highlights the uniqueness of the LOp's

I have my ideas,but what did you use for the roof and what's the wording on the yellow panel?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2771-chris

Reading Lines hoppers 9 years 4 months ago #3833

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
John Caples is correct about the end panel verbiage. I think (if I recall correctly) I got the decals for that from him.

As for the roof, I believe it was just a modified to fit MDC Roundhouse covered hopper roof. This was probably done almost 12 years ago.. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2771-chris
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April, 1957
The famous green "READING LINES" bridge over Shepps Dam on the Reading Belt Line (near Carpenter Steel) enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements