FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Coal dealers in upstate Pennsylvania

Coal dealers in upstate Pennsylvania 9 years 2 months ago #4113

As a Jersey boy, I never got to explore north of the Philly suburbs til the late 70's. On the Rdg up in more "traditional" Rdg country (the "Perk", etc,) were there any coal dealers actively using rail in the latter Rdg days-say after 66 or 67? Don't need pix, just want to justify it in modeling a Rdg branchline (proto-freelance) in the 66-76 period...Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coal dealers in upstate Pennsylvania 9 years 2 months ago #4115

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Mitch,

I think that Shelly and Fenstermacher's in my home town of Perkasie was still receiving coal shipments in their covered trestle in the '60s. I believe that dealers at Souderton and Quakertown were still selling coal in the mid-'60s. Some folks along the North Penn were still heating with anthracite!

I found a feed store with an active open trestle at Chapman on the C&F branch in 1978. I was taking the long was home from from seminary in Gettysburg that time. I photographed the station but stupidly didn't bother taking a picture of the trestle. That same day I also saw a local freight dropping a loaded hopper off at an enclosed trestle at New Holland on the former PRR branch of the same name.

You are justified!
Robin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mitch from Maine

Coal dealers in upstate Pennsylvania 9 years 2 months ago #4116

Ah! Thanks, Robin... I have a beautiful old Model Hobbies covered coal trestle-almost identical to their covered bridge that I want to incorporate as a coal/lumber dealer...Oy, I wish someone would make some of their old kits as laser kits.. they always SCREAM Rdg! Thanks so much-nice to hear from you! (I know you share my affinity for them)
Now "Shelly & Fenstermacher" would take a bit of space up on the side of a coal trestle...I am naming mine "Walmer and Lapp" after 2 families I'm friends with from Bernville PA...
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Mitch from Maine.

Coal dealers in upstate Pennsylvania 9 years 2 months ago #4117

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
The FM Brown coal dock at their Lancaster Ave. facility on the Reading Belt Line was receiving hoppers into the eighties... "Somewhere" I have a photo of an HTg sitting on that dock around that time.

I am thinking there was a dealer (Francis Riegel Coal) in Wernersville that was using a dock in Wenersville in the early eighties. Prior to the 80's, they had always just trucked in the coal from the breaker to their bins in Boulder Lake on Galen Hall Road. For some reason the bins and dock in Wernersville were obtained and I believe it was to get hoppers in. That coal delivery business was going pretty strong until the son John had a sudden heart attack and passed away. Not sure what became of it after that.

Rob
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Rob.

Coal dealers in upstate Pennsylvania 9 years 2 months ago #4118

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
Moyer feed and grain I think was still getting an occasional load of coal in Souderton.
Butch Curll

Coal dealers in upstate Pennsylvania 9 years 2 months ago #4119

Thanks-even more modeling fodder!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1964
The Reading's new green and gold colors are used on 100 new boxcars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements