FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Modeling Frustration

Modeling Frustration 9 years 1 month ago #4202

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Ever final assemble a model only to find out a couple days later that the detail you're tried so hard to replicate is all wrong? I've been working on an Accurail DL&W USRA hopper. A few years ago I took some photos of the prototype at Steamtown only to have my computer crash and lose the shots. I got around to finishing the model this week, winging it with the brake detail. Tonight I tripped across a picture of the prototype's B end. Several years of surfing and now the shot I needed showed up. Too late to make any changes...@$#%&@!!! Bet I'm not the only one with a story like this.--Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: t1nut, Rob

Modeling Frustration 9 years 1 month ago #4204

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Dave...Yes,I know what your saying.On my last project I was so fixed on representing the correct paint on my 636 that I totally over looked the model had the wrong size fan above the dynamic brake.After assembling the undecorated model,applying the yellow,masking,applying the green it finally hit me when I was removing the tape.Talk about a punch below the belt...took me a day to decide to finish it as it appeared.Oh well...at least I didn't step on the cab as I did in my last SD45 project.

Modeling Frustration 9 years 1 month ago #4205

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
Worked on an NdeM boxcar for an associate, really put forth an effort to do a nice job on this model. Only after I had completed this model with light weathering and a flat clear finish did I realize that the car number was COMPLETELY inaccurate. Not for sure how I pulled such a Homer Simpson move, but there it was in front of me in glorious living color! My associate was very gracious about the whole mess and had a good laugh about the error.
Fishnmack

Modeling Frustration 9 years 1 month ago #4206

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
Since I model prior to the 1960s, my fleet of black and pullman make it easy to to just not notice the errors. problem solved!

Modeling Frustration 9 years 1 month ago #4207

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
when I was renumbering some hopper cars a year ago, I transversed some of the numbers on the ends of the cars, and did not notice until after I dull-coted them.
Butch Curll
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by t1nut.

Modeling Frustration 9 years 1 month ago #4221

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Agreeing with Turboboost910--I models the 60s as well, but no matter the era, paint, weathering, and moving trains on a layout hide a multitude of sins...There's only been a few models with which the errors really bugged me. The biggest was FP7 #907 detailed from one of the original Atlas models. I thought none of the later phase units had the pointed rear overhang, so I removed the point on my model along with redoing the door. I was very happy with the result only to find out years later that units built after 10/52 had the overhang removed. Reading units were delivered in 9/52.--Dave
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 9, 1839
The entire Main Line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad was opened.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements