FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: BM&R planning work on Temple-Hamburg line

BM&R planning work on Temple-Hamburg line 9 years 1 day ago #4401

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
It appears that the Blue Mountain and Reading is planning to upgrade the former PRR Schuylkill division track they own along route 61 (between Temple and Hamburg). Residents of Shoemakersville who live along the track were told in a meeting that the BM&R will be doing track work and may add a second line. Apparently the meeting was necessary because some residents were “claiming” railroad property for their own use. The BM&R has requested that all items like fences and sheds be removed from their property.

As many of you know, this line was a semi-active freight and tourist line in the 80s and early 90s. Since the great recession, it’s primary function was to server as storage for excess cover hoppers. The last time I traveled along route 61 to Hamburg, it appeared that those cars are gone (hopefully a good sign that the economy has improved enough to justify their return to service).

My wife’s nephew lives in Shoemakersville and attended the meeting. He and other residents have already begun the removal of items that encroached on BM&R property.

Does anyone have more information on the plans for this line? I don’t believe any new industries have cropped up along the line that require rail service, so this must be a move to return tourist train runs.

Having an active tourist line to and from Hamburg would be a nice added attraction for those visiting the RCT&HS museum.

Thanks, Mark
Last Edit: 9 years 1 day ago by MarkFJ.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

BM&R planning work on Temple-Hamburg line 9 years 1 day ago #4402

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
It all sounds good to me perhaps 2100 when done may have a place to tromp if visiting PA. Wouldn't the prospect of doubleheaded T-1's be a dream of the future! But for now I will settle for tech fan trips of reading equipment on the temple-Hamburg line.
Daniel J Mohr

BM&R planning work on Temple-Hamburg line 9 years 1 day ago #4406

• DSpohn
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 7
Its hard for me to get excited about any possibility of tourist related activity when the line is being used to store empty tank cars. A venture that the railroad is making a pretty penny on. There are 2 customers on the line that have gotten service in the last year, Cambridge Lee (Reading Tube) in Ontelaunee Towship and Grow-Mark in Leesport. I wouldn't read anything more into the meeting in Shoey than the fact that the public sometimes needs to be reminded that the BM&R is private property and shouldn't be encroached on. I would be glad to be proven wrong in my opinion.

BM&R planning work on Temple-Hamburg line 9 years 1 day ago #4407

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
they might be adding extra trackage for more car storage, the almighty dollar always wins out. they are making money on the car storage business.
Butch Curll
Last Edit: 9 years 1 day ago by t1nut.

BM&R planning work on Temple-Hamburg line 9 years 1 day ago #4410

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Oh, I completely agree that the move could be nothing more than to increase storage capacity along the line. That, and the meeting may have been just a friendly “hand slap” to residents that have gotten accustom to using BM&R land.

Still any time news comes out than an old line may get upgraded is welcomed over news that it’s getting ripped up. At least this way the “potential” for tourist train runs remains.

I haven’t been on 61 in a while (at least 4 to 6 months, so I’m guessing they are storing more cars there again.

Thanks, Mark
Last Edit: 9 years 1 day ago by MarkFJ.

BM&R planning work on Temple-Hamburg line 9 years 1 day ago #4412

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
someone on the R&N facebook page was asking why they had stored some of the newer tank cars with the protective barriers on the ends. because they saw them along the Temple - Hamburg line,and figured that the older tanks would be in storage and not the newer ones for the Battic crude oil.
Butch Curll
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 9, 1839
The entire Main Line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad was opened.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements