FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: R in Reading means recycle

R in Reading means recycle 8 years 9 months ago #4598

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
The more I read and learn about the Reading the more I see they seemingly recycled and repurposed a LOT. I still can't believe the T1 came from the I10. I see nothing they have in common. I just got the Bob Losse covered hopper book. The LOb came from other cars.

The PRR rebuilt plenty of cars but also built many new. The Reading maybe took it a little further? It makes be wonder if any money was really saved, and if any railroad recycles to that extent now. Just scrap and start new?

Also was there ever a Bob Losse Vol 2 book?

Bill
Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by PRSL_Bill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R in Reading means recycle 8 years 9 months ago #4599

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
there was word of a 2 vol. set on Reading hoppers, but he decided not to, because the covered hopper book did not sell well when it was released. he would probably sell out of them if he printed them now.
Butch Curll

R in Reading means recycle 8 years 9 months ago #4600

Another magnificent example of "recycling" was conversion of N-1 2-8-8-2s into K-1sa 2-10-2s.

For a fine example of recycling or kit-bashing, leading to the same thing, though on a smaller scale see:

www.readingmodeler.com/index.php/forum/m...rld-s-largest-2-10-2

R in Reading means recycle 8 years 8 months ago #4618

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
The Reading was quite the recyclers of parts, but when you raise the question of cost savings have you ever looked deep into the Loree years on the D&H, especially the Selley hopper cars. There was even contests between shops when rebuilding the 36' wood boxcars. This man even wanted to convert arch bar trucks to roller bearings and contested the government! So with that said there must be a great deal of validity to savings, plus the tax savings to go along with it.

Bill

R in Reading means recycle 8 years 8 months ago #4625

• Wowak
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 8
PRSL_Bill wrote:
I still can't believe the T1 came from the I10. I see nothing they have in common.

The whole smokebox front, for one.
Building O-scale models of Reading steam power

brianwowak.wordpress.com/

R in Reading means recycle 8 years 8 months ago #4629

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
basically the only "BIG' parts of the I-10 that was used for the T-1 was the boiler. the smoke box was disconnected and a boiler course extenion added. there were alot of small things used such as bells, headlights, pumps,etc.
Butch Curll
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 24, 1949
Service on the "King Coal" train from Philadelphia to Shamokin is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements