FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Reading Terminal

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5405

It's beginning to look large on paper but I'm thinking about it all the time and it will get done If I don't go broke in the process thanks for your encouragement John c
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5407

• Allan
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 14
Check out this blog for inspiration:

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/top...-lime-street-station

It looks about the scale of Reading Terminal, maybe a bit larger. Similar details. He made it portable too (not without some assistance).

I am stunned everytime he does something new.

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5408

Outstanding. Great ideas Very like the inside of the Reading Terminal structure. Still unsure about the overhead catenary wire to be suspended from the structure but I'll figure it out. Thanks for the ideas. Fantastic.

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5409

• otiscnj
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
I've had plans to build a version or some terminal, based on Reading Terminal for yaars, in HO. Even with space for a large HO layout, I've pretty much determined that the version I have in mind would be about 2' by about 5-8'. I have mocked up the track under the shed, and eliminated some tracks, as what I would be intended to support my "Philly & Scranton' concept (set post 1975, as a branch of the North East Corridor). I haven't had much time to spend on model railroading in the last several months.

As for how I'd replicate the shed, (the head house would either be a flat, or partial model) I've considered the Walther's Milwaukee Station shed, and even a paper model based on an English design. The trusses to me are unique. Not sure about waiting until the cost of a laser wood cutter comes down, with an eye towards cutting my own trusses, using very thin plywood, or some sort a Plexiglas/plastic, (with the trusses painted on the plexiglass).

My version of the Terminal would sort of be a 'what if' model, with high(er) level platforms, as if someone had put some money into keeping the facility 'up to date,' instead of letting it 'run down' until it closed in 1984. I want to have the longest tracks in my model version able to handle a full Acela trainset, and/or 4 car TGV, or HST, + be able to handle a version of The Crusader which would include 1-2 sleepers and maybe another coach or two. Again, in my freelanced reality, passenger service out of Reading Terminal in 1975 would be more extensive, than just commuter operations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne Jct. Towerman

Reading Terminal 7 years 8 months ago #5458

Thanks I'll take your suggestion of making a cardboard mock-up first. I'll let you know how I make out. Probably will get started seriously on it beginning of October. Johnny C.

Reading Terminal 7 years 7 months ago #5506

• otiscnj
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
Here's a couple of ideas, based on my research, if you don't want to scratchbuild, your own shed. Might be able to kitbash, mashup, or modify one of these:

Bridgeboss:

www.bridgeboss.com/

Mostly O gauge sheds, but might give you a starting point. Roof is flat, not curved, like Rdg Term, along the same lines as the Walther's verison of the shed at the old Milwaukee Station, which has or had a kit available in HO.

Another option is for a shed, made out of paper, from a company in England. My thoughts, when I looked into this further, was that it might be possible to scale the printing in such a way, that you could get whatever shed width you'd like, then print as needed to get the proper length. Here's the link for that site:

scalescenes.com/product/r005a-large-overall-roof/

My other thought was that given that Walther's came our with an HO version of The Capitol Limited, maybe they would come out with a kit of Grand Central Terminal in Chicago,w which might have been very similar to the Rdg Term shed. I was to Louisville, KY recently, but the shed there is long gone. Not sure if that was similar to Rdg Term, either. Don't know about Chattanooga, however I recall that the Union Station there, might also have, or had some sheds.

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April, 1957
The famous green "READING LINES" bridge over Shepps Dam on the Reading Belt Line (near Carpenter Steel) enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements