FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Reading Terminal

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5377

Morning Reading men and women. :unsure: Is anyone currently modeling Reading Terminal in Philly. I realize it would be a gargantuan project to do it right. I'm working on a slimmed-down 8 track version currently. The tracks are laid and the trains are lined up at the bumpers for evening rush hour.
I'm most probably going to build it using Evergreen plastic products. Looking at countless pictures makes it more complicated.
If you have any ideas on how I should proceed please give me comments and direction. Thank You. Johnny C.
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5380

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Entertained the thought of modeling the terminal in HO. Strongly recommend a cardboard mockup as the footprint is large but the height may surprise you. Even truncated to half of its width and shortened, the model looms large.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne Jct. Towerman

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5382

• jdamelio
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 3
Photos as you go along. That's my pipe dream also!
Jeff D'Amelio
RCT&HS 1628
Modeling Doylestown to the Terminal, if only in my head!

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5383

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Steve Gilbert started a mock up on his Christmas display at the RCT&HS Museum in Hamburg in 2014 - IN O SCALE. I'll check when I get home to see if I have any photos.

I have heard many people say they were doing or planning this...I can't recall many, if any completions. Most challenging might be the catenary.

Do you have the "Bee Line" that featured the Terminal?

Good Luck, agreed we would love to see progress reports and I would bet some members here would be willing to lend you a hand if they are close.

Rob
Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Rob.

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5386

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't have the Bee Line Issue of the Reading Terminal but I do have Reading Terminal and Market by James L. Holton and Electric Trains to Reading Terminal by Wes Coates. They will both be good references.
I will begin by using railhead to wire measurements and getting my first structure done with brass H beams and then suspending my wire. That will take a gargantuan focus. The top arch section I'll build lastly and set it atop the lower section. I've also got to figure on allowing it to be removed someday down the road after I'm gone.
The drawing will be first then purchasing my materials. That will take some time. Maybe before Christmas I'll have something going structure-wise.
I don't plan on giving up. It's been a dream of mine for a long time. I'll keep you posted and as always thanks for any suggestions or advice. I'm always very open and accepting. Sometimes I overlook the obvious. :woohoo:
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket

Reading Terminal 7 years 9 months ago #5392

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
Walthers and DPM have some modular kits that resemble a similarity in the style, I believe. Or at least some pieces that you might be able to use. If you are good as resin casting, you should be able to modify them to your liking and cast away.

One thing I might suggest for a model that large, is to maybe have half of it against a wall with a backdrop depicting the other side of it, so you can compress it down to size but still have the appeal of a larger model. Either way this would likely be the centerpiece of your entire layout, and I'd love to see it!

I'm unfortunately struggling with getting Tamaqua yard and Locust Summit's breaker compressed down, even in N scale. it helps that I don't have a permanent home yet to plan for it!
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 24, 1859
A new terminal opened at Broad and Callowhill Streets in Philadelphia, north of the old facility at Cherry Street.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements