FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Outer Station Swinging Bridge stored?

Outer Station Swinging Bridge stored? 6 years 7 months ago #6004

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Recall that the swing bridge had been disassembled and stored. If so, who saved it and where is it? Thank you, Evan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Outer Station Swinging Bridge stored? 6 years 7 months ago #6012

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
One tower was re-assembled and put on display across from the old RDG Hardware building. Where the rest of it is. I don't know.
John Caples

Outer Station Swinging Bridge stored? 6 years 7 months ago #6017

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
John, thank you. By RDG Hardware building, do you mean the company store house area at 6th and Spring Streets or the hardware warehouse down by the river? Will have to visit the site the next time back east. Many an afternoon and evening were spent on this bridge watching the railroad and hoping someone would come along to put it in motion. ;)

Outer Station Swinging Bridge stored? 6 years 6 months ago #6021

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
By the river where the Reading foundry use to be. I think it's 3rd street or something like that.

Outer Station Swinging Bridge stored? 6 years 6 months ago #6023

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
More like Canal Street. It is to the east of the Bingaman Street Bridge. Actually best way to get it is to go down under the Bridge past the old Georgia Pacific building (something else in there now) past the UGI facility (this is where Reading's huge gas tank was - of course Agnes put an end to that) down towards where the W&N crossed the river on the "south" side on the bridge that the CR frame flat took out(pier is still in the river)
I suppose it is the only free piece of dirt the Engineering people could find, but when the river comes up, the water is right there and that area was well under water more than once. I would love to know if there is some bizarre significance of having it there. If your timing is right and there isn't a branch in the way you can see it from the bypass when you are just east of the Lancaster Ave. bridges.
I think the old newspaper article I have from when it was first put there mentions one day putting railroad cars with it... So it could float down the river like during Agnes?

The rest of the bridge is supposed to be stashed somewhere. The Reading Railroad Museum would be a logical place to display that... perhaps I am missing the logic.

Outer Station Swinging Bridge stored? 6 years 6 months ago #6027

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
Thank you Rob, I appreciate the pinpointing of the tower's location. Would the museum be big enough for it? Recall it had the large, buried outboard anchors at each end. It was a great place to observe the Walnut St. yard and the TOFC loading and unloading.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 23, 1955
The Blandon Low Grade line enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements