FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: What did I do Sunday - DUH!

What did I do Sunday - DUH! 5 years 5 months ago #6288

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Spent the day finishing Steward Hobbies hopper kits to be layout ready. Amongst the kits were two Carbon County Rwy., three-bay cars. Picked these up last fall at a local train show for ten bucks each. I was sure this Carbon County was in western Penna. and very delighted with this find as certainly these cars could have travelled over the Reading. Checking out that thought last night - found these hoppers were from a railway in Carbon Cnty, UTAH?! (Enter the "DUH" factor.) The Carbon Cnty in Penna. is NOT in western Penna. but in eastern Penna. - IN THE ANTHRACITE FIELDS! - with the county seat name of Mauch Chunk. Hmm...now...mystery or fantastic story as to how those Utah cars appeared on the HO Reading? :lol: Oh well, seven
Anthracite road hoppers and two "other" coal road hoppers joined the roster on Sunday.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What did I do Sunday - DUH! 5 years 5 months ago #6289

Well, there is always "Rule #1." That will let you can declare them to be from a (possibly-existing) anthracite hauler in Eastern PA.

I do believe I have seen prototype Carbon County hoppers while riding the California Zephyr when it was D&RGW "way back when..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: HoboPiker

What did I do Sunday - DUH! 5 years 5 months ago #6290

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
I have many a "in haste" bought cars & engines at a swap meet because the price looked right. Then they just didn't fit. I am just learning to use google on my first smart phone. Could help in such situations. But you learn when you get home and do research. Then could another eastern road have shipped them through the Reading? and next could I repaint or alter the car to one that did, or in another local road. and last Rule one make up stuff like Could those cars have run through shipped raw salt to the diamond salt co. in clark summit?
I think we have all been there at some point.
Daniel J Mohr
The following user(s) said Thank You: HoboPiker

What did I do Sunday - DUH! 5 years 5 months ago #6292

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Right, of course, an Internet verification. The iPhone was right there in the jacket's vest pocket ready to "Hey Google..." Good point, thank you.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 24, 1859
A new terminal opened at Broad and Callowhill Streets in Philadelphia, north of the old facility at Cherry Street.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements