FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Diesel Paint Colors/Codes

Diesel Paint Colors/Codes 4 years 3 months ago #6507

• nmueller4
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 9
Hello, All-

I was asked to post this for the questioner. - Norman Mueller
===============================================================

From: PETER GATES <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: The Post-WWII Diesel Paint Colors

Hi guys!!!

Reading fan since I was a kid in the sixties and seventies. Took a little bit of research but I believe I have those colors nailed down, complete with the slightly-more-modern DuPont paint code numbers. I wouldn't mind posting this info on the Reading Modeler site for everyone to discuss and whatnot but I'm having trouble creating an account there. Could you forward this e-mail to Conductor Tom and perhaps he can hook me up?

Thanks!!!

-Pete

P.S. With two separate yellows and six different greens so far, this should be quite fun!!! LOL
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Diesel Paint Colors/Codes 4 years 3 months ago #6509

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
I would be interested in knowing the paint colors. On my full life caboose, I compounded the old Paint down to the original paint under the conrail blue and on top of the caboose red. After 5 trips to the paint store I was able to get the yellow spot on. But the green was a different story. It actually looks greener than memory recalls almost John Deere Green. When they tried to mix the paint by computer the enamel Paint got too muddy with pigment and wasn't close, so we went darker It now looks closer with road grime. Weathered if you will. But in my mind I know its not right. The paint store said if I went to a automotive paint It would be clearer and brighter and I could put hardners in it to slow down the oxidation process. It also made it harder because I couldn't take the caboose to the paint store to put under the scanner.
Daniel J Mohr
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 16, 1969
The last train makes a stop at the Outer Station in Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements