FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grn/Yel ALCO RS-3 hood stripe?

Grn/Yel ALCO RS-3 hood stripe? 4 years 4 months ago #6511

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Purely curiosity. Among the road number 44X locomotives painted in the green over yellow scheme, there is a horizontal yellow stripe on the end of the long hood, where the hood curves from the end into the roof line. This stripe is in the green area between the top of the headlight and the sand fill hatch. What is the purpose of this yellow stripe? Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Grn/Yel ALCO RS-3 hood stripe? 4 years 4 months ago #6513

• Riggelweg
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 19
I have never seen that before and don't have an answer. Do you have a photo handy?

Grn/Yel ALCO RS-3 hood stripe? 4 years 3 months ago #6515

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
I haven't found it on any photo (book, calendar, etc.) that I have. First noted it in an dBay photo, where the Joanna iron ore train was Bethlehem bound at the Franklin St. passenger station in Reading. Saw it again in a Conrail era photo sitting in the Reading Yard but do not recall the unit number.

Grn/Yel ALCO RS-3 hood stripe? 4 years 3 months ago #6517

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
I have about a dozen images of 445 and 449, in the green/yellow paint scheme. If it had yellow in the Conrail Era, it would have been 494. 449 repainted green in 1972 and 445 was scrapped in 1975. I can't find the referenced stripe in any of my photos.

Grn/Yel ALCO RS-3 hood stripe? 4 years 3 months ago #6518

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
I found only 1 photo with the yellow stripe. Here is a link to the photo.

www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=456676

John Caples

Grn/Yel ALCO RS-3 hood stripe? 4 years 3 months ago #6519

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
Hard to say what the stripe was for. It's not there in 1966 and is no longer there in 1971.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 13, 1937
The Reading places the 5-car "Crusader" streamlined passenger trainset into Philadelphia-New York service. This train increases traffic on this line by 37% in 1938.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements