FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you've got some feedback about The Reading Modeler, or some suggestions and ideas on how to improve the site that you'd like to share with the site community at large, please post them in the Waybill Box!
  • Page:

TOPIC: instant messaging or live chat?

instant messaging or live chat? 10 years 7 months ago #1673

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
Some time ago, we got an instant messaging package for our computer at work. I thought, what a waste... just call the person. Well... I'm now hooked!!

We can send private messages here on the forum, which is like an email. Is there any type of instant messaging available in this software? That would be cool!!

I know of a car forum I log into that has a sort-of messaging window.. it's kinda like for anyone logged in to type something and everyone see's it, so it's not private. Even that might be cool to have so we can live chat!

just wondering.....
Thanks,
Barry
The administrator has disabled public write access.

instant messaging or live chat? 8 years 11 months ago #4358

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to announce that we have live, operational web chat functionality on the site - check out the home page! Please note that you must be registered and logged in to see and make use of it. I hope everyone will feel that this is a welcome addition to the site. If you don't want to be disturbed by chat, simply set your status to "invisible" by clicking the yellow arrow and selecting that status.

Also, to make the "social" aspects of the site a little easier to use (and I'm exploring more aspects of this, BTW) I've moved the Private Message box up the page a bit, directly beneath the Web Chat box. That way communications utilities are all grouped together.

Thanks for your patience on this - I think it's a nice feature for the site.

Tom
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

instant messaging or live chat? 8 years 11 months ago #4362

• rdg-barry
  • Thank you received: 44
OMG...!! sweet!! Thanks Tom. Hope to be chatting with you or other members very soon!!
Thanks,
Barry

instant messaging or live chat? 8 years 11 months ago #4363

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Hmmmmm An interesting aspect of this is that you need to sign on to see it. I am one of those that have been guilty of just hitting the recent forum list, reading the new entries and moving along. Unless I had something to respond to, I didn't have to log on. (that is why I missed so many emails for days on end) The Online Chat sort of forces you to log on and be official. LOL

I am going to venture to say this probably wasn't a free feature. You know what I mean. Support the cause!

Rob
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Rob.

instant messaging or live chat? 8 years 11 months ago #4367

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
Tom; ever since you activated the instant message, every time that I go to log on,it sends me to a page to "edit my profile". Butch Curll
Butch Curll

instant messaging or live chat? 8 years 11 months ago #4368

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
Butch - I fixed it. I wanted to have a means for folks to change their passwords, which is why the "Edit Profile" link appears in the menu after you log in. But the site was redirecting every login to that page. I fixed that, and now after login you are simply redirected to the home page.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by tomjacobs. Reason: clarification
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

June 20-23, 1972
The Reading is devastated by Hurricane Agnes; washouts and damage across the system require significant effort to repair, and also hasten the abandonment of marginal branches.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements