FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: RDG SD45

RDG SD45 10 years 8 months ago #1708

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Thanks to all for the kind words. :cheer:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RDG SD45 10 years 8 months ago #1710

• Allan
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 14
Very nice model. Great paint, details followed by a very subtle weathering job - not overdone. Thanks for sharing!

RDG SD45 10 years 8 months ago #1720

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
Thanks Allan!

There is one thing that was made mention to me that I failed to mention in my article. It was brought to my attention that the height of the lower green band was incorrect. And that is true. I made that error or adjustment to the band on purpose. The lower green band if you look at pictures, comes up to the bottom of the hinge of the cab and naturally follows through along the rest of the body. I lowered my band because the Kato model isn't very accurate as a model. The hinges on the Kato cab are at a correct height, but the nose grab irons and the grabs on the rear hood are off in height. The height of the Kato grabs are 10.49mm. The correct height should be 11.32mm, a difference of .83mm. I lowered the bottom green band by a scale 2.5 inches or .7mm. I did this to match the appearance of the prototype. If not, the green band would have been above the rung of the grab irons instead of under. So lowering the band gave the model an appearance of visual accuracy. That is my fault for not relaying that info in my article. As I mentioned before and you will continue to hear this from me, no matter how much you try to be accurate to the prototype, sometimes you need to make adjustments based on the model your building, this is due to the inaccuracies in a production model.

With other SD45 builds I've done over the years, I replaced the Cab, sub-base and nose with Cannons parts. This build is what I call a budget build, keeping costs down and one everyone here can do if they like. I appreciate any and all comments good or bad. And I definitely had no problem with the private conversation sent to me. It was my fault that I failed to mention the adjustment I made in band height.I'm just happy someone actually noticed. :woohoo:

I'm looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible at the meet, it will be fun. :)

RDG SD45 10 years 8 months ago #1721

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
Ron,

Would replacement of both ends of the shell with Canon parts correct the height issue you mentioned? How do the Canon cab and sub-base match up with the Kato shell?

Again, great model and excellent writeup!

Mark

RDG SD45 10 years 8 months ago #1724

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
Hi Mark, yes it does correct the issue. Fitting the Cannon cab components to a Kato is fairly simple. The rear hood is more of a challenge due to the cuts and fitting the replacement hood.

RDG SD45 10 years 6 months ago #2076

• rdgraildog
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks great Ron I am soon going try doing my Athearn blue box Sd45,s. Todd Shoffler
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

July, 1947
The new Lebanon Valley Branch bridge over the Schuylkill River at Reading, PA is completed, featuring the large "READING LINES" letting.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements