FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reading new all green switcher and cab roof number

Reading new all green switcher and cab roof number 8 years 1 week ago #5253

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi Guy's,

I am re doing my Proto 2000 RDG switcher 1519 with a new Lok Sound Select Micro and Tony's Sugar Cube Mini speaker. It is also the time to repaint, restore a few items and also to add the cab roof number.

I remember a discussion, could have been on the MR forum, where in it was discussed that most if not all the Reading new all green paint schemes received cab roof numbers as well. For years I thought only the SW1001 and New Geeps had these.

Given this is the case, how are the numbers oriented? Like the SW1001 or???

Thanks for the help.

Chris
Chris
Great Grandson of John Kiefer Engineman RDG 1894 to 1932
Member RCT&HS, ARHS, West Jersey Chapter NRHS
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading new all green switcher and cab roof number 8 years 6 days ago #5254

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Speaking off the cuff without my documentation handy, I'll say be careful with that. Not all the repaints got cab roof numbers and the ones that did not all have them oriented or facing the same way.

I don't know if the 1519 did or not. I will check my docs this evening if no one else jumps in here.

Rob
Last Edit: 8 years 6 days ago by Rob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDG1519

Reading new all green switcher and cab roof number 8 years 6 days ago #5255

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
Gracias!
Chris

Reading new all green switcher and cab roof number 8 years 6 days ago #5256

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Hey Chris...1519 definitely had roof numbers applied...the application was length wise down the center of the cab roof.
On page three of Robert Gottschall's book,The Reading Railroad Green Machines,there is a picture of 1519 and you could just make out the yellow numbers running down the center of the roof.Another example of this application can be found on page 348 of James Holton's book The Reading Railroad Vol.II.which shows the same application of the roof numbers down the center of the cab,although this was done on SW1200m 2711.It has been reported that this application was made to four repaints 1519,2711,614 and 449.The RS 3 is debatable but I've seen pictures confirming the other three units.The bottom of the numbers should face towards the engineer's side of the cab.
When I modeled my 614 I was in the same boat not knowing if it had roof numbers or not...I took a shot as to how they were applied and posted the following picture.

It turned out I missed the target...a fellow RDG enthusiast sent me a picture of 614 and I corrected the roof number application as shown below.

I don't remember his name and I no longer have the e-mail with the picture of 614 but he was sure 449 was done this way...So I modeled 449 the same.

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDG1519

Reading new all green switcher and cab roof number 8 years 6 days ago #5257

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
Thanks Guy's.
Chris, it goes to show you that the minute we do something that needs additional research and we do it wrong, the correct information comes out, but only after we have done it wrong.
Luckily I knew this forum would have the information.
I will do my ALCO 449 with the same roof number so there will be at least two of them out here.
So far this little 1519 switcher has had three decoders starting with a DH123 15 years ago, a LokSound w/o notching from 6 years ago and now an upgrade to the LokSound Select Micro.
I will post pictures next week when I make more progress on this.
Thanks again, Chris
Chris

Reading new all green switcher and cab roof number 7 years 1 month ago #5823

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
Well, as is usual things took a little longer than usual. I had a few extra details to revamp in addition to the roof number, and Lok Sound install. I am very pleased with it. While doing this I also did RDG 1501 since they are the same P2K model and well one thing led to another. I also finished my GP7 all green 614. Pictures of this another time.
Now the Towerman at Erie Avenue South Tower will see this one coming!

Chris
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1962
Loss of mail and Railway Express Agency contracts prompts severe cuts in passenger service, including annulment of all service to Shamokin, and the Allentown-Harrisburg trains, and a reduction on remaining routes. RDCs replace most locomotive-hauled trains, freeing former passenger locomotives for freight service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements