FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Modeling the Second Hand RDCs

Modeling the Second Hand RDCs 7 years 2 months ago #5744

I'm having faith that the Rapido Reading RDC-1s are fairly accurate (my guess is that the windshields were larger, but this is minor).

What I'd like to know, is if anyone has any good shots of 9163, former LV 40, and 9164, former B&M 6109, and any minor "details" that would help these stand out relative to the other RDC-1s.

What I can tell, is that 9163 is considered a "Phase 1B", while 9164 is considered a "Phase 1C".

One challenge is that on the "unlettered" RDC-1 models, there is no pre-drilled location for the horn (nor is there a "dimple" under the shell). In particular, it appears that #9164 has two different horns.

The pilots seem to change depending on the date as well. 9163 seems to have had "plow pilots" added at some late date, while #9164 seems to have had them the whole time.

I model specifically in June 1979, looking to eventually model the Crusader and Wall Street. I've scoured the internet for as many images as I can find. While 9163 is restored as LV #40, 9164 of course was infamous for the 1982 Fox Chase collision, and I am having a hard time finding good shots of it. often, it is only recognizable because its radiators are unique relative to the other Reading RDC-1s in the consist.

Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Chris
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Modeling the Second Hand RDCs 7 years 2 months ago #5745

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Interesting, these RDC things.

I haven't seen the Rapido RDC on the shelf yet, and have mixed emotions about them since I have three Life-Like and a half dozen Athearns, including a pair that I received for my 13th birthday. The value of all of the wouldn't get ne a trade-in on a Rapido. - Now if they do that NYC thing with jet sounds .. hmmm that would grab my attention. LOL

I'll check my photos to see what I have. I once started a list of spotting differences and documents I could find on these. They were the primary target of my train watching experiences between Gibraltar Rd and Lorane back in the day.

While I am on here and RDC's are the topic and the Crusader was mentioned. Caution Rumor Mill starting.... I once heard talk has it that one of the RDC's that was shopped for body damage has "Crusader" sheet metal on it which was removed from one of the steamers and was lingering around the shop when needed. Just rumor.

Rob

Modeling the Second Hand RDCs 7 years 2 months ago #5746

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Yes, the stainless steel from the two Crusader Pacific steamers was stored in the loco shop for a considerable time after the 1951 de-streamlining. Interesting that the 1939 fluting would match the RDC fluting.
Other than the different headlight mountings and the window sizes, the absence of the sand filler lids on the RDG's RDC-1s caught my attention. If I recall correctly, all of the second hand units had the sand filler lids.

Modeling the Second Hand RDCs 7 years 2 months ago #5747

Ah, I hadn't noticed the lack of sand filler lids!

Unfortunately, those appear to be molded on, so I don't think I can do anything to fix that.

In any event, a new issue has surfaced: There are no Reading RDC decals out there!

It turns out that the Champs Reading RDC set lettering is totally different from the stock Rapido RDC. I could probably get away with using some of the other decals in the set, but the size and shape of the champs version is far off.

IHP's Silverliner sets are much closer, but they are difficult to acquire and not readily available, and the sets I have I would really rather use on my Silverliner IIs. I sent IHP a message about possibly getting more of those.

Does anyone else make that "Reading Company" lettering in black?
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler

Modeling the Second Hand RDCs 7 years 2 months ago #5750

• Rob
I do not have personal photos of the cars in question 9163 & 9164. I do have a Budd drawing B42-05429 dated 11/2/62 which shows spacing for the lettering in the letter boards. Something that made me crazy on the Athearn RDC until I figured out there was a window missing.

Chris - Am I understanding you have access to Champ Reading RDC, but will not be using them because you don't like their authenticity? I think I also have some and I can only say if they aren't somehow fresh be prepared to clear coat them before they go in the water. :)

Rob

Modeling the Second Hand RDCs 7 years 2 months ago #5751

• Rob
Here is a personal photo, most likely with a Kodak Brownie at the Outer Station on a Sunday morning in 1966 or 67. It may be RDC 9156.
Rob
RDCatRDGOSviaRLD_0002a.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

June 20-23, 1972
The Reading is devastated by Hurricane Agnes; washouts and damage across the system require significant effort to repair, and also hasten the abandonment of marginal branches.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements