FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using Car Ticket form 4208

Using Car Ticket form 4208 8 years 4 months ago #4916

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
Gentlemen,
The more I look at form 4208 the more questions I have. Perhaps some of you Reading or Conrail operators know how to use these. my questions are as follows and I am sure they will lead to new ones.

When would these be filled out and by whom?

I am thinking each move would have a car ticket filled out. For example empty Penn Central Box Car at Erie Ave Yard to be used to ship General Merchandise from XYZ Company on Berks Street Line (North Penn) located at 3rd and Berks Street. This would have one Car Ticket 4208 for this move.

If the General Merchandise from XYZ Company is than moved by a local back to Erie Ave Yard for placement in a Bethlehem Train for ABC Company located in Lansdale would this than have another car ticket filled out for it?

What about loaded cars coming in from an Interchange? Would the Reading Company fill out this form 4208 at that time or would it already have a similar form from another RR?

I know this sounds tedious but I was wondering how all this worked.

Chris
Chris
Great Grandson of John Kiefer Engineman RDG 1894 to 1932
Member RCT&HS, ARHS, West Jersey Chapter NRHS
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using Car Ticket form 4208 8 years 4 months ago #4926

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Well it took awhile but I knew I had one somewhere. Perhaps we can aid the discussion by checking one out. Stamped on the reverse side is
"Received Reading Company Dec 12 1949 3 AM Rutherford, PA"

RdgCo.Form4208.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDG1519

Using Car Ticket form 4208 8 years 4 months ago #4928

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
So this empty Reading HT was placed on the Philadelphia, Bethlehem and New England interchange track in Bethlehem for the RDG to pickup.

The car probably had a load of Anthracite or Bituminous Coal for the power house or coking unit at Bethlehem Steel.

The RDG picked up the empty and filled out an Empty Car Ticket to handle this car. Signed by S. T. Frankenfield GYM (General Yard Master?.

The empty was to be sent to Rutherford via the RDG. It could have been sent to a storage track anywhere on the RDG but this time it was sent to Rutherford. The Rutherford Yard Master received it 12 December 1949 at 3 am. It was than placed on a storage track until needed for another load.

Would another Form 4208 Empty Card Ticket be filled out to move the car from Rutherford Yard to a shipper? I think so.

RDG 80233
Kind of Car: HT
To: Station on RDG or other Railroad where shipper is located
How would the rest of this form be filled out if shipper was on a RDG line and it was to be loaded with coal for Bethlehem Steel in Bethlehem?

I know this seems like overkill but it is interesting from an operating point of view.

When would the waybill form come into play?
Chris

Using Car Ticket form 4208 8 years 4 months ago #4932

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
RDG 80233 was an HTo I do not have any photos currently on file.

Using Car Ticket form 4208 8 years 4 months ago #4935

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
For the next move, the empty car would need a new tickect. Only in the model world do 4-part waybills exist. One other comment, in your original example, you mention spotting a PC boxcar for loading. Reading was very adept at placing home road (Reading) cars for loading, as off line cars cost money to keep for future use. Of course, some companies had special car needs that resulted in pools of Reading and non-Reading cars used for loading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDG1519

Using Car Ticket form 4208 8 years 3 months ago #4965

• RDG1519
  • Fireman

Here is copy of what these evolved into by April 1975 just before Conrail.
Chris
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 24, 1949
Service on the "King Coal" train from Philadelphia to Shamokin is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements