FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: cement container gondolas

cement container gondolas 10 years 10 months ago #1509

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
Granted it is not a Reading railcar, but the January 1995 MODEL RAILROADER had an article about modeling a Lehigh Valley cement gondola. Somewhere else in the dark recesses of my mind I recall the cement containers being modeled using 3/4 inch PVC pipe caps as the body of the container with wire lift rings, a hatch and decals added. PVC pipe caps come in at least two styles, a rounded cap and a flat cap. Compare prototype photographs with the style of PVC cap availible should you chose to go that route.
Fishnmack
The administrator has disabled public write access.

cement container gondolas 10 years 10 months ago #1510

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Now for modeling the drop bottom containers, check out Westerfield Models website in the 8100 series USRA gondola models, page 2. There you see a one piece casting of 10 drop bottom containers with decals for the Reading (Part No. 8192). The 1960 Equipment Register note CC tells us cars no. 23016, 23019,23023, 23024, 23030, and 23031 came equipped with these 10 containers.

cement container gondolas 10 years 9 months ago #1537

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
Another possible source of containers would be from the older Life-Like dollar store cars. A black 40' PRR gondola came with a removable load of two groups of angled bottom containers lettered for the MoP. These cars have a tendency to show up at train shows and with a little cleaning up, the containers do not look half bad.
Fishnmack

cement container gondolas 10 years 9 months ago #1538

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
Here's my version of the LV cement gondola with air-activated containers - based on the Jim Hertzog MR article that started this whole thread. This car was my very first kitbashing project in the hobby, built shortly after the article came out.
Attachments:
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

cement container gondolas 10 years 9 months ago #1539

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
tomjacobs wrote:
Here's my version of the LV cement gondola with air-activated containers - based on the Jim Hertzog MR article that started this whole thread. This car was my very first kitbashing project in the hobby, built shortly after the article came out.

Nice work! looks like the contractors got a little sloppy with the concrete!
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements