FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Reading & Northern to add GP30Ms to roster.

Reading & Northern to add GP30Ms to roster. 10 years 5 months ago #2127

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Last night, I ran into an R&N employee and fellow train enthusiast at a wine and cheese tasting social of all places. He said the R&N has purchased three ex Sante Fe GP30M locomotives and is anticipating their delivery within the month.

These units are most likely phase 2 models, but the person I spoke with said they have not been upgraded to dash 2 standards. I could not locate any information on the R&N website, however this is a done deal and the employees are very excited to get these locomotives.

This is great news for fans of the GP30, since most have disappeared from revenue service in the Reading/Berks area years ago. It will also be interesting to see how the R&N repaints these units. Maybe we’ll see another Reading “heritage” paint scheme!

Can anyone add more details about this acquisition?

Thanks, Mark
Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by MarkFJ.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rdgrail

Reading & Northern to add GP30Ms to roster. 10 years 5 months ago #2135

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
It will be interesting to see what paint scheme the R&N choose to apply to these units.

Reading & Northern to add GP30Ms to roster. 10 years 1 month ago #2850

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
One of these units appeared in Tamaqua yard this afternoon in Blue and Yellow Santa Fe. I went to get a photo about 5 o'clock and it was not there, but will be on the lookout!

Reading & Northern to add GP30Ms to roster. 10 years 1 month ago #2851

• DSpohn
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 7
The first Geep appeared on the QARG, Reading Turn last Thursday and has been on that train every day this week so far.

Reading & Northern to add GP30Ms to roster. 10 years 1 month ago #2888

• Wowak
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 8
It's my understanding (from the R&N employees I know) that they will be painted in a scheme reminiscent of late Reading diesels, solid green with yellow stripes on the end, numbers on the long hood, and a diamond on the cab, although it will be the R&N diamond, not the Reading Diamond.
Building O-scale models of Reading steam power

brianwowak.wordpress.com/

Reading & Northern to add GP30Ms to roster. 9 years 10 months ago #3175

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Came across this video on youtube the other night. It shows the four units arriving at Belt Line Junction in January.

Santa Fe GP30s find a new home

I wonder how the person taking the video knew when they would arrive. By the way, I saw one of these geeps about a week ago and it was still in Santa Fe paint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LNE-401
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

June 20-23, 1972
The Reading is devastated by Hurricane Agnes; washouts and damage across the system require significant effort to repair, and also hasten the abandonment of marginal branches.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements