FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Items of Interest

Items of Interest 10 years 1 month ago #2877

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
I've had the LV vid for several weeks; it's great. The passenger train footage is especially good (I tried to replicate the Black Diamond with Walthers passenger cars kits when I was a teenager). I've collected railroad books for years, but these Pechulis offerings have made me into a video collector too. In addition to the LV dvd, the LNE series and Shortlines in the LV are especially good.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Items of Interest 10 years 1 month ago #2880

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57
Stumbled across this, Piko is doing a G scale 0-6-0 camelback from their under detailed 0-6-0. With some work and detail parts it seems a good base for a nice switcher.

Items of Interest 10 years 1 month ago #2904

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Athearn new releases posted.RDG RS3's in the Pullman scheme.Numbers 464/68/73.Also,CNJ offered with three road numbers.

I really wish the ho manufacturers of the Alco model RS3 would look at some proto type pictures of the left side long hood forward and produce a correct model of a RDG RS3...Frustrating to say the least.
Haven't seen a picture or an actual model,but I'm sure 494 wasen't painted correctly.

Reveiwed railfanning the RDG vol.1...A must for RDG fans.

Items of Interest 10 years 1 month ago #2905

• Robin
  • Conductor
I agree with you, Chris, on both counts. 1) Modeling the left side of a RDG RS3 is a major task; it would be nice if manufacturers were faithful to their prototypes. 2) The new Pechulis video is a must for RDG fans. The Perkiomen mixed footage alone was worth the price of admission!

Items of Interest 10 years 1 month ago #2907

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
Robin and Chris - First, from the Athearn advertising illustration, the painting of 494 is NOT correct. As far as Athearn or anyone else producing a correct RS-3, its not exactly simple. Reading acquired their RS's in batches over the period of 4/1951 through 10/1953 during which the ALCO production evolved as far as details go. The only two groups which they could possibly get right are the boiler equipped units, 460-475 and the last group, 444-450 due to the restrictions imposed by the Athearn frame and motor mounting.

Not to sound my own horn, but under the Articles tab, you can download the pdf of my clinic from last fall's Reading Railroad Modelers Meet. I recommend kitbashing/ painting and lettering to close in on correct Reading RS-3's.

Items of Interest 10 years 1 month ago #2908

• Robin
  • Conductor
I did download the article, Bill: well done! I built RS3 #517 from an undecorated Atlas model several years back, and it was a lot of work (I posted several pictures on the old site). In retrospect, I wish I had modeled a passenger unit. I got the frame wrong on my model. Perhaps the new Pullman green Athearn model (passenger units) will provide a good starting point for a second Alco. Your clinic will undoubtedly serve me better than my faulty memory.
Last Edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Robin.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 6, 1945
#2100, the first T-1 4-8-4 steam locomotive, is outshopped at Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements