FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: T-1 2100 could be scrapped!

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 3 months ago #4030

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
I have to be realistic in weighing in on this debate, though some will likely dub me a heretic.

With regard to the 4 surviving T-1s,
1 is at Steamtown in a reasonably secure environment
1 is at the B&O Museum, again in a reasonably secure environment
1 is at Port Clinton, inside a building

As much as I would hate to see #2100 scrapped, if the worst case scenario comes to pass I can live with it, as we still have three. If it were the last of its kind, that would be another matter entirely.

As much as we would like, we cannot save everything. Better to focus on preserving/restoring what HAS been saved. My opinion only.
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 2 weeks ago #4347

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
Reading Steam News (trains.com) "RDG#2100 to embark on cross country Journey this spring". Has been checked for movement and is suitable to be refitted to be coal fired. She will be moved for some type of rework. Check at www.fireup2100.org once movement occurs. American Steam Railroad Preservation Assoc. Check it out!
Daniel J Mohr

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 2 weeks ago #4348

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
AHhhhhh... wishes do come true!!!
Thanks,
Barry

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 2 weeks ago #4350

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Photos on Facebook show her loaded on two HD flat cars. tender on one loco on the other...

Too many photos to be an April Fool's photo shop, lol :)

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 2 weeks ago #4351

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
This is fantastic news for a number of reasons:

First, while I can see Bob’s point that we would still have three other remaining T1s “if” the 2100 was scrapped, it is still a large steam locomotive in serviceable condition that at least could serve as a parts donor to the other locomotives if necessary. But now that this group has it, why not return it to steam?

Second, there definitely seems to be a renewed interest in steam locomotives, particularly large steam locomotives (thanks in part to the attention that UP 4014 has been getting). While the T1 isn’t as well-known as a Big Boy, it is still a large locomotive and draws attention where ever it goes. Will (or can) UP 4014 make runs here in the northeast? I don’t know for sure, but we know a T1 can.

Finally, new technology has bolstered both restoration techniques and the ability to raise funds (thanks in part to social media sites like Facebook). This group probably picked one of the best times to tackle this project all things considered (especially with the economy). It will still be a struggle to gain donations since there are a lot of other organizations vying for money, but at least it’s not 2008!

Frankly, I see the 2100 as the most likely candidate out of the 4 T1s to return to steam.
The 2101 is a museum display now and I doubt if anyone truly knows the condition of its internal components. And I mentioned in an earlier post that the 2102 need at least $2 million invested in it.
I wouldn’t even dare to guess at the state of 2124. Last comments I read were that it was sitting outside and very rusty.

Mark

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 2 weeks ago #4352

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
they took 2100 west from Canada to Washington state on the same type of flatcars, years ago.
Butch Curll
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

June 20-23, 1972
The Reading is devastated by Hurricane Agnes; washouts and damage across the system require significant effort to repair, and also hasten the abandonment of marginal branches.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements