FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: T-1 2100 could be scrapped!

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 3 months ago #3930

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
From what I could surmise from the posts I read, the most likely candidate to be returned to operational condition would be (as Joanna Bill said) the 2102. However, let’s not kid ourselves, the restoration of any T-1 to either display or operation, will take a significant commitment of time and money.

As I posted in another thread here, the last time I spoke with someone who worked on the R&N, a “small” group of employees has been pushing Muller to restore the 2102. But, the figure they were talking about to cover the work was in the $1.5 to $2 million range. The R&N is doing well, but not that well!

Regarding the transportation of the 2100; it will most likely have to be loaded on a flat car and moved east just as it was before when moved west. Someone posted a very reasonable explanation for this in link I posted above; a class 1 would rather move a (certified, recently inspected, modern, etc.) flatcar with load than an antique locomotive with questionable running gear that could damage rails or derail a train.

I just hope that a reputable organization like the American Steam Railroad did in fact acquire the locomotive.

Oh, and on the topic of the RCT&HS’s collection; they have enough. I’m not a member, but even the most casual observer can see they are already overloaded with work up at Hamburg. And, I’ll bet anyone active in the restoration of their equipment will be quick to comment that few members actually find time to work on the various projects. If they “were” interested in adding another locomotive to the collection, I would think a GP39-2 or 40-2 would make sense. One of those locomotives would complete the story, so-to-speak, of how Reading motive power progressed through the years to its final days. Plus these locomotives are in active service and therefore receiving maintenance and repairs on regular intervals.

Thanks, Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 3 months ago #3933

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
it was transported from Canada to Washington state on flat cars.
Butch Curll

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 3 months ago #4021

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Was speaking to an employee of the L&S railroad this past week at the shop and he remarked that a group out of Ohio was seriously interested in the engine and bringing it back east. Also, he noted that the one oil gun was placed in the wrong spot causing the firebox issue, but was not a terrible fix in the grand scheme of things. Anyone else hear this promising news????

Bill

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 3 months ago #4024

• rdg-barry
  • Thank you received: 44
Mark... I agree, the RCT&HS does have a ton on it's plate!
BUT... it would be better to sit in the Reading area with the possibility of cosmetic work to be a flagship piece of the collection, than be scrapped!! While another is close by in Steamtown... I can't imagine NOT having this... IF it were possible to get it back to PA at a reasonable price.

The RCT&HS with a T1 in their yard is like... well fit gloves on a cold day - priceless!
Thanks,
Barry

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 3 months ago #4025

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
I hesitate to put my opinion nay further into this discussion, but RCTHS has way too many items rusting to bits, to try and add this to their collection. Not to mention the fact that the locomotive would need to trucked to the museum in Hamburg. 2100 is way to heavy to be moved over the damaged Maidencreek crossing south of Leesport.

T-1 2100 could be scrapped! 9 years 3 months ago #4028

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
It's cool that 4 of these things have survived this long at all. Whoever has the wherewithal to keep them from scrap, more power to em. Certifiable boilers don't last forever. I wonder how long the 2100's has left.
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April, 1957
The famous green "READING LINES" bridge over Shepps Dam on the Reading Belt Line (near Carpenter Steel) enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements