FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Billboards, advertising, and our layouts

Billboards, advertising, and our layouts 9 years 3 months ago #3975

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
We detail our layouts to carry the flavor of our favorite railroad. We add all the little things that our particular favorite line is noted for. Like drip strips, color scheme, and signs. These little details set the mood for our layouts. It also tells a story about the era we are trying to portray.
So this brings me to my point. Why don't we take this step a little further and also include advertising to set not only the era but the locale that we are trying to portray!
Think about it. Nothing says RDG, Pa more than beer, pretzels, and Luden's Candy. If I were modeling Pottstown. Then I should have advertisements for Kiwi Shoe Polish and Mrs. Smith's Pies. These all set the tone for the locations that the RDG RR served. A casual observer who comes over to visit your layout will automatically pick up on these little hints and it will make your layout more believable.
Tom has included some nice local billboards that can be downloaded here. www.readingmodeler.com/index.php/compone...ads-modeling-goodies
So I'd like to offer some signage as well to help others out of this dilemma. If you have a favorite sign. Share them here with us so we can all benefit from the bountiful harvest of goodies!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by rdg1187prr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Billboards, advertising, and our layouts 9 years 3 months ago #3976

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
Some of these signs will have to be resized. I left them large so that they will print with more clarity. Microsoft Paint is one of the programs that I use to resize the signs.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by rdg1187prr.

Billboards, advertising, and our layouts 9 years 3 months ago #3977

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
A few more signs.

Billboards, advertising, and our layouts 9 years 3 months ago #3978

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
A few more.
Attachments:

Billboards, advertising, and our layouts 9 years 3 months ago #3979

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Nostalgia time! Thanks...these are nice. It will be neat to see what other signs from days-of-old can be found.--Dave

Billboards, advertising, and our layouts 9 years 3 months ago #3981

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
In an effort to aid the modeling idea, here are some Bethlehem logos as they appeared on stickers through the years.

Bill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg1187prr
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

November 14, 1948
Service on the "Schuylkill" Main Line train to Pottsville is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements