FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: SW1200m Build

SW1200m Build 10 years 11 months ago #1454

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Initially I suspected the two shots of the 2714 with the different placement of the "Couple Carefully" slogan was slightly different "eras," however closer examination says the photographer simply walked to the other side of the tracks and took another photo, so caution to the decalers. It isn't symmetrical! Anyone disagree?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SW1200m Build 10 years 11 months ago #1456

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
Precisely my point in posting - there's a prototype for everything!

What's also odd is that although this is the highest numbered unit, it's got the rounded running board trim. From looking over the photos that have been posted, it seems like the higher numbered units do not have this treatment, though I suppose that could just be random coincidence. We should perhaps compile a list for the entire class...
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com
Last Edit: 10 years 11 months ago by tomjacobs.

SW1200m Build 10 years 11 months ago #1457

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
You are Correct Rob. The slogan placement is different from one side to the other. That's why when doing a build like the 1200m, how important it is to be set on the one prototype your trying to model. There's more to these than just paint to duplicate your efforts. But sometimes it's the paint itself that drives you to model it because it was different. Like I stated in the beginning of this article, do your research, there're differences between the models. If you look, you will find them.

Thanks Tom for posting the interior shot. That pic confirmed that EMD upgraded the control stands, which I really didn't doubt, just needed the proof.

Sorry for the delay here. Work got real busy and so did the maintenance on the house. I will be getting back to this real soon and wrap up the SD45 project at the same time. So hang in there. Glad to see this article is drawing some input.

SW1200m Build 10 years 11 months ago #1460

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
As I recall, the numbering of the rebuilds had very little to do with age or type of unit being rebuilt. I recommend the Diesel Era article to get the list of units sent to EMD.

SW1200m Build 10 years 11 months ago #1463

The old B&W hardcover Reading Power, by Carleton and Pennypacker has a comprehensive diesel roster good as of 1969, and it has a unit-by-unit breakdown of each of the SW1200m former-latter numbers.

SW1200m Build 10 years 11 months ago #1464

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
The details that all of you will notice is not only the scrolled walkways but also the Baldwin hood variation with louvers. Among the earliest delivered Baldwin VO's rebuilt was #2702. It has the early version of the cab.

Compared to:

The cab scroll drops down further on 2702. Stewart AS16s have the style cab. Not sure if it will work on the VO. When I started building #2, is when I really discovered the minor variations between some of the models. Battery boxes and access doors under the cab varied a little also, but not that much.
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 9, 1839
The entire Main Line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad was opened.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements