FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading MU cars, Paint and other things

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 7 years 10 months ago #5313

Hey Chris, I've been searching high and low to locate you. I was very impressed with your modeling of the Reading's overhead catenary system. I'm in the process of designing mine. 8 tracks out of my condensed Reading Terminal with double track thereafter and branches for Chestnut Hill Norristown, etc. Your work is exceptional. Do you have a manufacturer or dealer for the H columns and crossbraces. I could only find them in plastic, not brass. Also, if you wouldn't mind so much, some dimensions.
I rode the olive green commuter cars into Philly in the 60's What a pleasure to be able to open the windows and hear the wheels click over the railjoints every 40 feet and clack over the interlockings. Romance of the rails. Smell the electrification and the cars braking (hazardous I know), for the stations. I would sometimes stand by the front door and look over the Engineer's left shoulder.
Anyway, I digress. If you could get back to me I'd like to share some pictures of my work with you also. It's May, "It's Spruce Up Time on the Reading."
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 7 years 10 months ago #5314

The fact that Bethlehem Car Works may be considering a metal Modified Taylor truck for its' suburban coaches is fantastic news. I've got in my possesion the plastic side frames from Eastern Car Works When they were purchased is only a guess, maybe 20 years ago. Still in the bags. Great expectations but never the time.
I never realized until I tripped over the Reading Modeler Forum that there was such interest in the Reading's commuter service. Being from Philly originally, my memories still remain. I can still smell the brakes as they came down the Chestnut Hill Branch to stop on the low level platform at Wayne Jct.
Keep at it my friend, our commuter ranks are expanding both for the young as well as the oldtimers like myself.
http-planphilly-com-eyesonthestreet-wp-content-uploads-2012-10-2017-1920-broad-st-station-bwsm-jpg.752.592.s.jpg

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 7 years 10 months ago #5318

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
Wayne Jct. towerman- you do know the photo that you posted is of the PRR Broad Street station looking west toward 30th Street, and not Reading Terminal.
Butch Curll

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 7 years 10 months ago #5329

Wayne Jct. Towerman wrote:
Hey Chris, I've been searching high and low to locate you. I was very impressed with your modeling of the Reading's overhead catenary system. I'm in the process of designing mine. 8 tracks out of my condensed Reading Terminal with double track thereafter and branches for Chestnut Hill Norristown, etc. Your work is exceptional. Do you have a manufacturer or dealer for the H columns and crossbraces. I could only find them in plastic, not brass. Also, if you wouldn't mind so much, some dimensions.
I rode the olive green commuter cars into Philly in the 60's What a pleasure to be able to open the windows and hear the wheels click over the railjoints every 40 feet and clack over the interlockings. Romance of the rails. Smell the electrification and the cars braking (hazardous I know), for the stations. I would sometimes stand by the front door and look over the Engineer's left shoulder.
Anyway, I digress. If you could get back to me I'd like to share some pictures of my work with you also. It's May, "It's Spruce Up Time on the Reading."

Ah, did you see me here or did you see my module at the Valley Forge RPM?

In any event, I used brass structural shapes from the Special Shapes Company. You can order from them direct over the phone.

The appropriate shapes are "H-5" 5/32, and "H-3" 3/32 for the cross beams. I suspect heavier beams were used at interlockings and curves (if there is similarity to the PRR method of doing things), and so "H-4" 1/4" might be useful there.

The transmission line arms are "A-1" 1/32 angles, and the support braces are "T-2" 1/16 Tee shaps

As for the proper dimensions.....

Its mostly stolen from PRR drawings, but made with Reading Company details. Unfortunately, I cannot locate a good set of Reading Company catenary diagrams. I know they are out there, but I found only one guy online who had them and he wasn't able to scan them.

Fortunately, most of the PRR dimensions seem to look about right for the Reading(no one has yet pointed any issues out). 70' scale height poles seem to work, and I just assume a distance of 12' scale feet from the track centers to the inside of the pole.

This probably does need its own thread, but I wanted to get back to you sooner.
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 7 years 10 months ago #5332

Beautiful cars. Where did you purchase them, if you don't mind my asking?
Ipurchased a 2 car set from Imperial several years ago, quite expensive. They still had no coupler or headlights either. I was a little disappointed that at least the powered car should have a working headlight.
Anyway, in regards to the paint. I used Scalecoat 2 on my Bethlehem Car Works Pbn suburban coaches in Pullman Green. The color was a good match however after applying the decals I will finish them in Dullcote to dim them down a little.
Almost all Reading modelers seem to agree the color is illusive, changes from natural light to artificial light and gets grimy after years of running up and down the Chestnut Hill Branch to Reading Terminal. What railroad equipment does change its' appearance after a couple years of wear and tear. The Reading's locomotives are a case in point. Some of the prototypes yellows looked almost cream in color after awhile instead of their bright yellow.
Anyway, good luck with your cars. There are lots of prototype photos available online to match them.

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 7 years 10 months ago #5351

Good evening railroaders. Make sure you have a fresh battery in your lantern before you head out to the engine and a rain slicker if there's a chance of rain. The Conductor won't take pity on you if you don't take care of yourself.
Quick and easy question. I just received new Central Valley trucks for the Reading Pbn suburban coaches. They are of course, bare metal. I've disassembled them and cleaned the flashing from them till I was satisfied it was removed. I will also clean them in dishwashing detergent and water and rinse clean. Question: Where do I go from here to get a nice black finish that's not to glossy? Scalecoat 1 of something else. Then how to weather them to make them look like they ran passenger service for a few long years without overdoing it.Also, after painting I'd like to apply rear markers in the Reading Company style. Any suggestions my friends?
It may seem simple to you but for me airbrushing and painting my own equipment are 2 subjects I'm not educated in. Thanks for your help my Railroad Brothers and Sisters. :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: t1nut
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 1, 1953
The last Hall "banjo-style" signals are removed from service, and are replaced with color-light signals.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements