FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Brewer Yard Modular ISL

Brewer Yard Modular ISL 10 years 2 months ago #2622

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
This is my current "Industrial Switching Layout" which is made up of two modules that utilize some experimental construction methods using foam board and thin plywood. My goal was to develop extremely lightweight and transportable sections. The track plan is a mishmash of ideas drawn from various published sources. The two sections were originally stand alone layouts, which I had somewhat planned to eventually connect, and now have with table leaf allignment dowels and regular hex bolts.
Latest track changes:

First mockup of both sections:

Some shots of the sector plate "Carbon Corner" module:

Last Edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by MrBill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brewer Yard Modular ISL 10 years 2 months ago #2623

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Is Brewer Yard a Reading location (don't recall hearing that one) or a "proto-freelanced" name. Will this be for a brewery?

Where will the non-connected tracks lead to..... Tell us please, what the operation for this area is to be......I realize you said it was a mishmash of ideas, but what is your idea leading to? :)
Rob

Brewer Yard Modular ISL 10 years 2 months ago #2624

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Nice work, Bill. I should start posting pix of my variation of MR's recent "Thin Branch" project, but it's not very far along yet.

Mr. Weand is as erudite as he is dexterous. Brewer was the fictional city of Reading in John Updike's "Rabbit" novels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

Brewer Yard Modular ISL 10 years 2 months ago #2630

• MrBill
  • Conductor
Updike was indeed the early "Proto-Freelancer" that inspired the layout's name. The track plan has changed a lot since the start, and is the freelance part. Rolling stock and structures are the prototype. I'm working on various flats of actual structures for the back drop. For instance, the red 2 story bldg. in the pic above is the Reading Paper (Stichter's in later years) warehouse that was at Front and Court. For the "brewer" aspect of the yard, I'm thinking of doing the back of the Reading Brewing bottling building with that neat painted sign and pilsner glass across the top. The stone retaining wall was inspired by the one down along Neversink street, across from the brewery as well.
The plan for the 2 sidings you asked about Rob hasn't really been finalized. They're part of the previous "micro" layout end of the yard, the main focus of which was the sector plate, for shuttling cuts of cars around. There is no particular operation scheme just yet.
Last Edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by MrBill.

Brewer Yard Modular ISL 10 years 2 months ago #2631

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Even as a non drinker, the Brewery connection jumped out right away, never made the Updike connection, but it is a great one.

Brewer Yard Modular ISL 10 years 1 week ago #3025

• MrBill
  • Conductor
Some images that inspire me for this layout:
South 8th st. Bridge

Reading brewery bottling bldg. sign.

Laurel street arch.
Last Edit: 10 years 1 week ago by MrBill.
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

July, 1947
The new Lebanon Valley Branch bridge over the Schuylkill River at Reading, PA is completed, featuring the large "READING LINES" letting.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements