FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30?

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 5 months ago #2136

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Nope!--Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 4 months ago #2332

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Picked up an undec. model yesterday.The model has the proper molded on detail on the long hood behind the fireman's side.The bolted on square access hatch found on the RDG units.I guess I won't be adding any styrene to simulate this.
The unit seems lighter in weight compared to the previous run of 30's.Also,it comes with the large fuel tank.I'll be calling Walthers about replacing it with the shorted tank,I'll be needing five.
My 45 is just about completed so this will be my next project.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 4 weeks ago #2919

• rdg-barry
  • Thank you received: 44
I have one of these coming any day now... bought from modeltrainstuff.com, which I believe is also MB Kline. With sound, $229 and $7 to ship it to me. Not bad...

Chris... you mentioned a while ago about changing the numbers on these units... other then the usual method I know of... gently using an eraser on the body numbers and re-decalling... how would you do them? Specically... what do you use for the lighted number boards?

Also... does anyone know what color/type paint will match the green on these? I'm thinking of using a bit of modelers license and paiting the sills, but not renumbering. While that is prototype, it would not quite match my era of 1970... but I believe I can live with that.
Thanks,
Barry

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 4 weeks ago #2922

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
Barry...check out page 4 of the topic Athearns gp7's.That is the process I use to remove factory numbers.

Concerning the number board,I just brush apply a few coats of SCII engine black and after it dries apply the decals.I set them with sol-v-set and then apply dull coat.This does take away from the lit number board affect but that's something I could live with.

Concerning the paint match,my goal with my two units was to renumber to the 3600 series and keep the yellow side sill.I can't find any photos so I'll end up changing numbers and painting the sills.With your recent post I compared the paints I have to the green applied by Walthers.I used the green ac unit to test the color matches.

Trucolor RDG green...too dark
SCII Southern green ...Ditto
Floquil RDG green...too light
Polyscale RDG green...ditto
SCII RDG green seems to be a pretty close match.
I'll use the SCII on my units unless some one has used something different that showed good results.Blending in some weathering would take away some contrast.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 4 weeks ago #2923

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
I think there are photos of the GP-30'S in the 3600 series numbers and yellow side sills in Dale Woodland's books on Reading diesels.
Butch Curll

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 4 weeks ago #2924

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Hello Group,

I just paged through the GP30 section of Woodland’s book and could not find a photo showing a unit with a yellow sill and numbered in the 3600 series. Perhaps there is a photo of such a combination in another book.

I've elected to hold on buying one of these updated models until (hopefully) the prices come down a little. The market over the last couple of months has been flooded with new locomotive releases from the various manufacturers, so I expect some vendors might be stuck with inventory on these for a while. Also, it seems many are unloading there older P2K Geeps on Ebay for at or below $50 bucks!

Thanks, Mark
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 1, 1953
The last Hall "banjo-style" signals are removed from service, and are replaced with color-light signals.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements