FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30?

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 7 months ago #1931

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Has anyone preordered Walthers updated Proto 2000 series Reading GP30? I was thumbing through an older flyer when I noticed the ad for these. The original ship date was February 2012, but according to Walthers site, they are now due December 28, 2013. Wow, that’s almost a two year delay in shipping! Looks like these Geeps are going to have the correct trucks along with metal grab irons and lift rings. That’s a nice improvement over the original GP30s that had plastic parts, but the rest of the details seem the same. Also, I wonder why they chose the “as delivered” paint scheme and numbering as opposed to the scheme with the green sills.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the new drives that Walthers now uses? Considering the original drives were designed fourteen years ago in 1999, one would expect much improvement in that area.

I’m on the fence about ordering one and would like to hear some comments and feedback before I commit.

Updated Proto 2000 GP30

Thanks, Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 7 months ago #1932

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Hey Mark...Yes I have two of the RDG units on order in dc and six undec. models.I would have liked it better if they were in the 3600 number series.I read that some of the 30's received their new numbers but retained their yellow sill stripe for some time before repainting,can't find any picture evidence.My goal was to change the numbers on the factory units.
My two proto 45's mate great with my atlas units and my proto rdg f's.They have the 14 to 1 gearing also.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 7 months ago #1936

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Thanks for the reply Chris.

Too bad we don’t have access to posts from the old version of The Reading Modeler. There was a lengthy post on GP30s that went into detail about all the variations of the paint scheme. Plus it had at least a dozen color photos. Regardless of the painted sill and numbering, I'll probably order one. Mostly, I was just curious to hear what other members thought about the performance of improved Proto locomotives.

By the way, speaking of P2K SD45s, I just (as in a couple hours ago) pick one up on Ebay for about $30 plus shipping. After reading some of the comments on Ron’s “follow the build” post, I decided to build up a P2K SD45 in Reading before tackling a Kato unit.

Here is 5504, location and photographer unknown:

rdg5504.jpg

Thanks again, Mark
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by MarkFJ. Reason: typo corrected

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 7 months ago #1939

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
I've seen photos of 5500's with solid green side sills, but never the other way around. I'll keep an eye out. I too have a Walthers unit on order.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 7 months ago #1940

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
I have two on order. The 5500 series numbering works perfectly for my era. As for the drives, the new GP20s are supposed to be pretty good, so I'm hoping for the best for the GP30s.--Dave

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 7 months ago #1952

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
3603...this unit was the first 30 I did back when LL made them.
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements