FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30?

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 4 weeks ago #2926

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
I don't think the side frames were still yellow when they were renumbered. The last intro page right before chapter 1, in Dales second diesel book shows 5520 with green side frames. My guess is they started painting the frames green before the renumbering.
Butch Curll
Last Edit: 10 years 4 weeks ago by t1nut.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 4 weeks ago #2928

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
How about this one...... In our little make believe "what if" world we tell the B&O to take a hike and just keep our 5500 or maybe even our 6500 series diesels the way they were. After all they eventually snubbed us anyway. lol.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 4 weeks ago #2930

• rdg-barry
  • Thank you received: 44
... and Rob... that is just what I may do...! LOL!

Thanks for the paint info Chris.

My model arrived yesterday and is running nicely. I think I have to adjust the horn CV... sounds like two different horns are playing at the same time. And I need it a bit louder...

I will have my older P2K model for sale soon... have to reconnect the insides to run on DC after taking out my old system decoder. Pictures of both coming soon.
Thanks,
Barry

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 10 years 3 weeks ago #2931

• rdg-barry
  • Thank you received: 44
Here's my new 5505 in Reading yard.....

20140402_051823_resized.jpg
Thanks,
Barry

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 8 years 11 months ago #4447

Nice place you folks have here for all things Reading!

I picked one of these up last month, and I have a question concerning the additional components shipped with the engine. As it came with a parts diagram and no real instructions, and being somewhat new to the hobby, where do I get info on what constituted Phase 1 versus Phase 2 versions specific for the Reading units?

I have access to pics of the #55nn units operating within the area/era I'm planning on modeling (Carlisle Junction in Mt. Holly Springs to Gettysburg Junction in Carlisle in the early to mid 1960s). The unadulterated Walthers unit appears to match up to those in the pics, though I will go over them again with a fine tooth comb.

I nosed around the forums here a bit, but didn't see any details surrounding Ph1 and Ph2 for the GP30. General web searches didn't yield what I would call fruitful results.

As this may have already been covered elsewhere here and I missed that info when searching, if you could just please point me to that thread? Thanks!

Dave

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 8 years 11 months ago #4448

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
Hi Dave...welcome aboard.

All of the RDG GP30's were phaseI models.The main spotting feature between the two phases was the cab length on the fireman's side.The cab extended further back towards the long hood as compared to the engineer's side.This gave the crew more room with the two seat configuration on the left side.This also resulted in the removal of one of the standchions on the left side long hood.

On pages 21&22 of the Show Us topic are pics of what I did with my two Walther's factory painted units.Page 32 shows 3618 with some minor differences as compared to the RDG's other 30's.

You can also check out the 3613 completed topic under the follow the build thread.Hope this helps.
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by 2771-chris.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

June 20-23, 1972
The Reading is devastated by Hurricane Agnes; washouts and damage across the system require significant effort to repair, and also hasten the abandonment of marginal branches.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements