FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30?

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 8 years 11 months ago #4450

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Hello Dave and welcome to the forum!
I can back up what Chris said with these pages from The Atlas Modeler (an online magazine that Atlas published a while ago, but has since been abandoned). The photos show how one handrail station was removed when GM extended the conductor side of the cab.

AtlasGP30PH1_0001.jpg

AtlasGP30PH1_0002.jpg

I bought one of the “revised” Walthers GP30s not too long ago from Toy Train Heaven when they had them listed in their mid-week Cloud Nine sale. They still have couple in stock, so keep an eye on their site if you’re looking for another at a good price. Just be sure you’re signed up to receive emails from them or you won’t get the notice the day the sale is running.

Mark
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by MarkFJ. Reason: Added jpg files
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 8 years 11 months ago #4456

Thanks for the info! Quite informative.

Based on your responses, coupled with the extra parts included with the locomotive and the included parts diagrams having a few A and B options, it looks like I didn't ask the proper question.

The diagram does have A and B references for the two phases, but these parts (windows, window awnings/visors, a gray roof, walkway plank, etc.,) appear to have nothing to do with what you've described as Phase 1 and Phase 2. There appears to be no direct connection to the Phase references in the diagram and the extra supplied parts.

It doesn't help that the supplied diagram is very small and hard to decipher, even with my glasses. It looks like some of the A and B areas are made up of the same components?!?!?

So..... are these additional parts that came with the GP30 related to any cosmetic changes The Reading may applied to these units during their first two years or so of operation, before they renumbered them in the 3600s? If not, do you have any idea what they are for?

Daved and Confused
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by CarlisleJunction62. Reason: Grammar Police

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 8 years 11 months ago #4457

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Dave...I'm assuming your 30 is a decorated model for the RDG...correct?
If so,you should find three gray colored templates.The gray roof you refer to is the template for drilling holes to mount the various roof details.I can't recall if the fire cracker was all ready mounted on my RDG units or not,that might be the only thing you might have to mount.

The oddly shaped piece is the template for the pilots for adding the pilot steps.The smaller template fits into the side windows to drill the holes to mount the wind deflectors.

The yellow all weather windows,sun shades are not used at all for the RDG unit.The green roof top ac unit and black snow plow are not used on the RDG unit either,put them in your spare detail parts container.

Walkway plank? If your referring to the drop steps they get mounted to the top center of each pilot.

Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30? 8 years 11 months ago #4458

Thanks Chris. Yes, it's decorated, and looks extremely close to some pics someone lent me of a few in the 5500 series. From the various angles (other than the underside, which I have no pics for) I don't see anything on the pics that is not on the engine.

'Walkway plank' was referring to the dropdown plate that allows crewmen to walk between the locomotives. I don't know it's technical or industry-given moniker. The P2K unit has these at both ends, but it looked like there's a single extra one in there that's bigger than what's assembled. When I just looked at it a bit closer, it must be the green rooftop AC unit you are referring to. Doh!

Looks like I will not be needing any of the extras or the templates, and will take your suggestion to put these in a parts bag.

Now, I just have to redo one of the two couplers that required assembly, as it wasn't returning to its center position when gently moved it off to the side, while its brother was re-centering just fine.
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April, 1957
The famous green "READING LINES" bridge over Shepps Dam on the Reading Belt Line (near Carpenter Steel) enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements