FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: Layout "mockup".. at last!

Layout "mockup".. at last! 9 years 4 weeks ago #4337

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Yesterday, Shopping for foam, I found that 2" 4x8's are $32 in Reading as well. Kinda salty, but you gotta put the track on something (besides a thousand pounds of plywood).
So here was the mock up for my plan to model the neighborhood of Front and Court streets in downtown Reading circa 1910.

Last Edit: 9 years 1 week ago by MrBill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Layout "mockup".. at last! 9 years 4 weeks ago #4339

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Looking good, Bill. I'm eager to watch your progress!

Layout "mockup".. at last! 9 years 2 weeks ago #4370

• MrBill
  • Conductor
New standard mr bill layout base. 50"x72"x48"H. Two of these end to end will make up the core of the W&N loop, which will measure out at around 5.5'x15'. Going to go for 30" min. radius.

Layout "mockup".. at last! 9 years 2 weeks ago #4371

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
For 20+ years I was a "parrot" - build what was real - build what was real - over and over to whoever would hear. The first chance I built a layout as an adult I winged it - no plan of what was real, and mostly not a track plan at all. I had to get trains running reasonably quickly to keep my interest, and also on a budget. I did both pretty well, from start to running trains in 10 months.

It is more of a place to see the trains I have been working on for the past 20+ years run, and also see what I just finished run. THAT is the payoff. Now that I am running there is not a lot of new progress on the layout. I think that is the norm more than the exception.

Follow your heart, and budget, but most of all be realistic that you will LIVE to see your trains running on your layout. 2 of my friends passed rather young always about to start their layout and never once saw ONE of their trains turn a wheel.

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

Layout "mockup".. at last! 9 years 2 weeks ago #4372

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
One more thing.... I come from a module maker background. Do NOT use PINE anywhere for the benchwork. I have used 3/4" shop grade birch plywood (for cabinet makers) for the past 25 years cut to 4" strips. You yield a LOT of 4" strips from 1) 4 x 8 sheet. Dado cut for the crossmemebers with glue and screws. I have never had a warped frame even in basement environments.

Pine will warp and create havoc. Look at the rejects left behind at Home Depot after the pine is picked over. My current layout is 100% 3/4" plywood except the legs which are ripped 2 x 4.

Bill
Last Edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by PRSL_Bill.

Layout "mockup".. at last! 9 years 1 week ago #4388

• MrBill
  • Conductor
Good thing I specialize in warped havoc! These tables are merely quick and dirty benches for bolting my foam-based track modules to. Granted, I
Make them as square as possible out of what I can afford.
I decided some years ago that future layouts would be modular, ultra light weight, and easy to break down for storage and/or transport.
Section 2 of the W&N loop roughed out:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements