FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading GP-40-2 roof numbers

Reading GP-40-2 roof numbers 9 years 1 month ago #4289

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
Some time back I posted a question about the roof numbers on the 40-2's. The green machine book did not address this question nor show any overhead shots to resolve it. Back when they were running one of our club members noted that one of the 40-2's had the roof number painted in the reverse direction. I couldn't remember which one. I checked every book I had and every back RCT&HS Pub. to no avail. No one on this site could answer it. The only photo of the roof number I could find was in Reading Diesels Vol.2 by Dale Woodland on page 145. #3675 the bottom of the number faces the short hood. Now in a new book I just picked up Conrail Central Region Vol. 1 1976-1980 By Stephen M. Timko, Page 63 top shows CR #3275 (ex RDG #3671) in green CR patch paint The old RDG number showing on the roof with the bottom of the number 3671 is facing the long hood. OK now any one with RDG #3671 atlas GP40-2 you can start flipping the number. The correct size decals for the roof are found in the hard to find HK Rdg switcher set L-502. The numbers on the atlas roof are too big. You can scale the number off the picture in the Dale Woodland book. Now I can finally proceed with my GP40-2 paint project.
Daniel J Mohr
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading GP-40-2 roof numbers 9 years 1 month ago #4290

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
3675 wasn't dedicated like the other 4 units to do the ore runs. 3675's plow was painted black along with the roof numbers being reversed so everyone would know this unit was for pool service and relief duty if one of the other 40-2's needed to be shopped.

Reading GP-40-2 roof numbers 9 years 1 month ago #4294

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
I thought 3671 was reversed. Was it 3675 that was reversed? Ive got to find a photo of a middle number. the thinking of the day was that was the engine lin-up when the numbers were applied. and they just went down the row with the bottom of the numbers facing east or west. or something like that.
Daniel J Mohr

Reading GP-40-2 roof numbers 9 years 1 month ago #4299

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
The bottom of the roof numbers on 3671 faced toward the long hood.The rest of the class 3672/75 the bottom of the numbers faced toward the short hood.
Doubled checked on the mark video with 3675/74/71 coming through the cut at Geigertown on the way to the Grace mine.The numbers are clearly visible showing their alignment on the roof.At this time lead unit 3675 still has the yellow plow.
On my 3675 I used the black plow.

Atlas did apply the roof number on 3671 incorrectly

Reading GP-40-2 roof numbers 9 years 1 month ago #4302

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Well at least that was solved. I always thought it was 3675, but then that was the info given to me years ago. That was either a screw up at the factory prior to delivery, or 3671 was the one originally dedicated to pool service and the RDG changed it to 3675 and painted the plow black. For what ever reason good info!

Reading GP-40-2 roof numbers 9 years 1 month ago #4305

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
Thank You! Chris and Ron for your input. Finally its solved. I missed the video shot and I must have that one. I have all Reading Videos. I will make a note in my Green Machines Book! Now I can get on with painting & Decaling. I did know about the plow being black but thought it was a repaint due to a misshap. Thanks again! I knew if I brought it up again someone had to know the answer.
Daniel J Mohr
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

November 14, 1948
Service on the "Schuylkill" Main Line train to Pottsville is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements