FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Detailing a Reading GP30

Detailing a Reading GP30 9 years 1 month ago #4325

I'm trying to super detail a Reading GP30, but I'm having difficulty locating all the parts.

Specifically, I'm having trouble with the horns. It seems like they are split up on the roof but I'm not sure I've identified an adequate horn to model this.

Also, any other advice for detailing the older P2K model would be appreciated. How do you guys do the rain gutters?

Chris
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Detailing a Reading GP30 9 years 1 month ago #4331

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
For the drip strips, I use a thin "piano" wire, not even sure what size I used. Thin enough, but still strong enough that they bend and hold their shape. Then I just crazy glue it in place.

For the horns, in my cheap days (I know - I am still cheap) I think I just used a single Athearn F-unit horn on the single side and on other side I cut the extra horn I didn't want off of a standard Athearn three chime horn for the double side..... egads, imagine that, it probably cost 20 cents then.

The good old days, when you had no choice but improvise.... lol.

Rob

Detailing a Reading GP30 9 years 1 month ago #4335

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Chris
For the horns...on the engineer's side of the cab I use the horn that comes with the P2K model.I carefully cut off the outer bell of the horn as close to the bracket as possible without damaging the mounting pin.This horn is mounted on the roof top.
Pic of my 3613

On the other side I use Details west AH-174.Now this horn doen't get mounted to the roof top but rather to the side of the roof cowling.The fire cracker antenna is mounted to the roof top.

As for the drip strips I use strip styrene.If you go to the Follow the Build forum and scroll down to my C424 topic on page three I explain my process for mounting the strips.This can be done on factory painted models that don't include this detail,i.e.P2K's recent RDG 30 offerings.Just have to find a matching paint shade for the strips.
Views of the factory painted models with strips added.

On these P2K models I painted out the Yellow side frame stripe and changed them to the 3600 number series.

Two views of my 3611/13

The following user(s) said Thank You: maddoxdy
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October 8, 1958
The diesel facilities and shop at Newberry Junction are destroyed by fire, and are rebuilt the following year.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements