FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: How Many Reading Passenger colors?

How Many Reading Passenger colors? 8 years 9 months ago #4606

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
I know that the subject of train colors is fightin words in some parts. There is a PRR T&HS Paint committee that has studied the colors at length. I have some old favorites I use frequently.

Years back I bought 4 custom built passenger cars (3 head end & a coach) from John Hall because they were 1 of a kind and a very good price. I had no idea I would take a hard turn to actually MODEL the Reading instead of just buying a few completed models.

The cars I have done I used Scalecoat Pullman Green. John's 4 cars are at least 2 different colors, and none of which match the Scalecoat Pullman Green.

How many "correct" colors of Reading Green am I allowed to have? ;)

I had some waffling thoughts of repainting them to match, but for this second back to leaving them as is. Also looking at trying to be more correct for future work.

Please reference Scalecoat colors or maybe TruColor. I avoid custom mixing at all costs - just won't do it.

Bill
Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by PRSL_Bill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How Many Reading Passenger colors? 8 years 9 months ago #4608

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
I use Scalecoat Pullman Green for the primary color and on the cars. Where a lighter green appears in the window band I use Scalecoat Southern Sylvan Green or Reading Green if I can get my hands on it.
I was also using the same colors in Badgers Accu-flex paint and it seemed to be close to the Scalecoaat in hue. I don't believe that is available anymore.

My experience with the Southern Sylvan and/or Reading Green is they have matched anything I placed it up against.

This is my experience and opinion and I am aware not everyone agrees. My policy is listen to the opinions and paint it to make yourself happy and is your guests don't like it - they can run their own trains. Consider the amount of photos out there where two cars right net to each other that are without a doubt painted the same color, but are no where near each other in the picture.

John Hall strives for accuracy in his work and the color shifts may have been based on available paint at the time. I was never very fond of Floquil's Pullman Green for Reading Equipment and was overjoyed when I did my first work with Scalecoat because it just looked right to me.

I have an extra Morning Sun / Craig Bossler - Reading Company Freight and Passenger Equipment Color Guide and one other Reading book at home (I can't remember which it is) both still in the wrappers. If your interested give me a private message and we can probably come up with a good deal.

Rob
Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Rob. Reason: additional info

How Many Reading Passenger colors? 8 years 9 months ago #4611

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
I use Floquil pullman green with a little engine black added. I also use this for the first generation diesels. and I use Reading green for the window bands. this is one of those questions where if you ask ten people you will get ten different answers.
Butch Curll

How Many Reading Passenger colors? 8 years 9 months ago #4617

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
I am also a fan of the Scalecoat Pullman Green. I don't mix any combination of this paint, but I do thin it differently when I spray it. Normally I reduce it 50% with lacquer for my "steel" cars, and thin it even more to all but about 75% for my wood kits to give the appearance of more fade. Lastly, Flouquil Reading Green for the window bands. Somewhere buried in the deep recesses of the forum I posted some pictures of all three variations mentioned above modeled with Bethlehem Car Works kits.

Bill
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 5, 1833
The Philadelphia and Reading (P&R) Railroad began operations.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements