FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.

TOPIC: Pigeon Point and Reading Delaware River Marine Ops

Pigeon Point and Reading Delaware River Marine Ops 10 years 5 months ago #2234

Hello all,

I am new to The Reading Modeler and I look forward to participating in such a great site.

I'm interested in the Reading's marine operations on the Delaware River, and I wonder whether anyone can direct me to good references on the subject, preferably with some photos of the tugs and carfloats that the Reading used. I've found one photo of the tug Brandywine on line, but no info about the car floats other than a reference to a three-track float in a legal document.

My particular interest is the float operation at Pigeon Point near Wilmington, Delaware. This float apparently served the DuPont Company Chambers Works chemical plant I across the river in Deepwater, NJ., and possibly another DuPont plant upriver at Thompson Point.

If anyone can provide more info about the Pigeon Point operation or photos of the float bridge, I would appreciate it. I'd also be interested to learn more about the "Millside Line" that connected Pigeon Point to the Wilmington and Northern line.

The remains of the Pigeon Point float bridge apparently still exist. I may try to document it by boat next spring when the weather warms up. If I do, I'll post some photos. Attached is a recent image from Bing Maps.

Thanks,

Charlie
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pigeon Point and Reading Delaware River Marine Ops 10 years 5 months ago #2235

Here are some better aerials of the Pigeon Point float bridge.

Charlie
image_2013-11-23.jpg

image_2013-11-23-2.jpg

Pigeon Point and Reading Delaware River Marine Ops 10 years 5 months ago #2236

there are a few pix in Morning Sun's Reading In Color volume 1, but not much else.. This enabled them to bypass the predominantly-PRR/PC controlled PRSL line that served the plant. Even though the Rdg owned one-third, revenue division was also only one-third. It also took 3 days off transit time from Chambers Works (Carneys Point)

Pigeon Point and Reading Delaware River Marine Ops 10 years 5 months ago #2247

Thanks for the reference, Mitch. I'll order the Morning Sun book, which is evidently still in print.

Do you happen to know whether Reading had any tug and/or carfloat servicing facilities in Wilmington, or was all of that handled out of Philly? I know memory has its limits, but when I was a kid, I spent many afternoons with my dad watching trains, ships, birds and airplanes from the PRR Bellevue commuter station a few miles south of Clatmont, Delaware (on the River route between Philadelphia and Pigeon Point). I have no recollection of any Reading tugs, with or without a carfloat along side.

Current Bing Maps photo of the Bellevue station location attached. The foundation of the northbound shelter where my dad and I hung out is still visible between the tracks, but the southbound foundation has been removed, apparently to make way for a track realignment. Hard to imagine a more exciting place to watch trains.

image_2013-11-23-3.jpg

Also, one on-line source indicated that the Millside Line that served Pigeon Point was jointly owned by the Reading and the Pennsy. If that is true, it would seem to reduce some of the financial advantage for the Reading to operate the Pigeon Point facility.

Regards,

Charlie
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

July, 1947
The new Lebanon Valley Branch bridge over the Schuylkill River at Reading, PA is completed, featuring the large "READING LINES" letting.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements