FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.

TOPIC: Perkiomen Branch

Perkiomen Branch 5 years 4 weeks ago #6400

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
More than once I have stated that I believe the W&N would be a great branch because it had everything - except a tunnel. Well The Perk lacks a few things the W&N does have like a float operation, but it does have a tunnel. I had the opportunity to drive to Bethlehem today via Palm Road and, like the W&N and the Colebrookdale, I think this would be another very interesting branch to model. The stretch that runs parallel to Palm Road from Powder Valley Road to Carl's Hill Road is phenomenal. There is a beautiful stone bridge carrying the RR over the Indian creek with what looks like a grand old "grist mill" turned into a home beside it. A scene begging to be backdated and modeled. Also just up the road at Carl's Hill Road stands the base of a water tank. I just had to stop and shoot some photos before the leave covered it up.. I had taken pictures of the bridge (culvert? - BIG culvert) in the summer not even realizing the awesome structure right behind it was there due to the trees.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 weeks ago by Rob.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riggelweg, WindsorSpring, Robin

Perkiomen Branch 5 years 4 weeks ago #6401

That structure itself looks like a worthy challenge to model. It is correct to say the branch has interesting topography with upland operation near Dillinger Tunnel down to operation in a "canyon" of sorts south of Green Lane. The Perkiomen Branch has a Facebook following.

Perkiomen Branch 5 years 4 weeks ago #6403

• Rob
IMG_3277a.jpg

I'll try this for the one that won't open in the other post. I can't delete that one photo either (yet)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riggelweg, Robin

Perkiomen Branch 5 years 4 weeks ago #6404

The photo in the first post ("PerkBranch...6a") actually shows two stone arches. I guess the distant one in that picture is the one most recently posted. The stone arch and wing walls are another fine structure to model.

Perkiomen Branch 5 years 3 weeks ago #6405

• Rob
That is correct

Perkiomen Branch 5 years 3 weeks ago #6407

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Three cheers for those responsible for saving the mill. That top level would make a perfect train room with the dispatcher (Above all others on the railroad. <G>) located in the elevator's head house. Ditto - the culvert with its rocky stream oozes of "model me" attraction. Thanks, Rob.
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 1, 1948
The "Wall Street" begins service between Philadelphia and Jersey City, hauled by new G-3 Pacific locomotives and featuring new two-toned green cars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements