FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading MU cars, Paint and other things

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 4 months ago #2344

twrdgfan wrote:
Did IHP supply truck side frames for the project?
If so were they the Taylor trucks?

They did, and they are. As soon as i finish up some of my Jersey Arrow MUs, I'll get back to these Reading cars.
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 4 months ago #2352

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
As I posted on the old web site, I ran across an article in either railmodel journal, Model Railroading, or Mainline Modeler about 15 years ago. It showed color samples of Pulman Green. and aprox the year they changed their color. It used to be a olive drab color more brownish. It was then changed to a darker less brown color green. The story had nothing to do with Reading, It was about the Pullman colors. But when I read it a picture in Boslers Reading car book of two coaches coupled together. Both relatively new paint the standard coach was in a browner paint the other was the two tone paint Modernized car showing a darker,less brown, Pullman green.
I've got to get back to cleaning the attic to find that article.
Daniel J Mohr

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 2 weeks ago #2985

Well, I ended up using the tamiya "black green", since this matched photos in the book "Reading in the Conrail Era Volume ", and "Trains Trolleys & Transit".

I'm making the first two with silver roofs, and the remaining ones with black roofs.

This might not be the best pictures, but here is the paint. In the background are a few more Silverliner IVs, including a married pair.

Now, I also just got more Reading MU bodies... these I'm going to make into Blueliners.

The real question is, what color is that? Does anyone make decals consistent with the Blueliner markings?
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 2 weeks ago #2988

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Probably going to have go with a white extended Railroad Roman decal set. These cars only said Reading, not the full Reading Company, so it isn't to bad with individual letters. There are a couple of ways to get the white diamonds, perhaps pulling it out of a anthracite herald.

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 2 weeks ago #2990

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
also looking at the photo that you posted of the decals that came with the cars, it looks like standard railroad roman, which was not used by the Reading. you need to get extended roman. you might try to find some Champ sets still floating around out there.
Butch Curll

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 2 weeks ago #2995

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
Is there an official font name for the extended roman that reading used. I have been trying to find lettering specs for my full size caboose. or stencils 4 and 6 inches tall. Anything I can enlarge.
Daniel J Mohr
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements