FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading MU cars, Paint and other things

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 7 months ago #1898

I was wandering around an aircraft centered hobby shop, and found an interesting color- "Black Green".

I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be reference to Brunswick Green (its a Tamiya military paint), however, the paint in the bottle seemed to match the body paint of the Green cars fairly well. I might give a test spray first to see what it looks like,

In any event, here are photos of the kit. Most of the kits had windows, though I will have to make a few extra window sets myself to complete all six cars.

Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by green_elite_cab.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 7 months ago #1899

• Riggelweg
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm confused. I thought IHP decided not to make these kits. Where did you get them?

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 7 months ago #1902

You're right, IHP did discontinue the kits. I had originally ordered a few of these kits as well, and then was told they were discontinued and moved on to other things.

Earlier in the summer though, IHP began selling off all of its remaining resin stuff, whether it was complete or not.

I was offered the Reading MUs incomplete, but because of a prior order of Jersey Arrow IIs, which only needed floors, IHP was able to make the trucks and other part that were missing, except for most of the windows.

These were pretty much built from bits and pieces left over from the originally planned kits.
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 7 months ago #1945

• jdamelio
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 3
In "Electric Trains.." I see both color roofs running together as early as '62. So I don't think it really matters what you decide to do. Perhaps you should have a mix.
Jeff D'Amelio
RCT&HS 1628
Modeling Doylestown to the Terminal, if only in my head!

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 6 months ago #2037

• Gary L
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 4
GREEN MUs
During refurbishment in the late '60s and early '70s the "green" cars were painted Pullman Green with Aluminum Silver roofs. The interiors were light blue ceiling and facia board above the luggage racks. The walls were a light grey. Seats were a blue nauga-hyde. (Spelling???) The lettering was Dulux Gold. I remember discussing the green with Supt of Passenger C.D.VanSciver in the early '70s. He said it was definetly Pullman Green but I thought it was closer to Olive Green. Maybe Pullman Green with a few drops of Brown would be a closer match.

Earlier paint would have been Coach Green with a lighter Green on the panels between the windows. Again Dulux Gold lettering.

BLUELINERs
Blue liners did not run with any of the Silverliners because of the couplers. Silverliners had a contact block under the couplers that eliminated the need for jumper cables. Before the GE Silverliner IVs the coupler was the knuckle type so they could be used to tow each other in an emergency, but the trailing units would not have electrical connections.

Blueliners 9101 to 9109 were converted combines which is why they had the picture windows. They also had air conditioning that 9110 thru 9138 did not have. The interior was a cream ceiling with a light rose color on the walls.

Reading MU cars, Paint and other things 10 years 6 months ago #2091

• HHS
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 40
Picture of the 800 at RRMofPA.

IMAG0366640x383.jpg
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 5, 1833
The Philadelphia and Reading (P&R) Railroad began operations.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements