FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!
  • Page:

TOPIC: A RDG OE-3 EMD SW Number 10 I am working on

A RDG OE-3 EMD SW Number 10 I am working on 8 years 5 months ago #4982

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
I have seen the Crossline on Facebook, Tom (I'm more of a lurker on FB than I am here). It looks great!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A RDG OE-3 EMD SW Number 10 I am working on 8 years 5 months ago #4987

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Nice SW Chris. I remember the alco ad for those in an old MR copy. Before the re-building, they were sort of an up sized SW-1, with that front sand box.

A RDG OE-3 EMD SW Number 10 I am working on 8 years 5 months ago #4988

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
Yes they were.
I think I remember reading that EMC changed the Reading Company order of 600 HP switchers midstream to SW-1 switchers with their new 567 engine after supplying the first group of 5 switchers with Winton engines.
10 through 15 SW series
16 through 24 were SW-1 series.
These SW's made it into the late 1950's maybe the early 1960's in storage. Some SW-1's made it into Conrail.
Similar units on the CNJ lasted longer.
Most of these were used on Philly area jobs where they helped with smoke abatement issues.
Chris
Great Grandson of John Kiefer Engineman RDG 1894 to 1932
Member RCT&HS, ARHS, West Jersey Chapter NRHS

A RDG OE-3 EMD SW Number 10 I am working on 8 years 5 months ago #4989

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
All 10 SWs were rebuilt by EMD in 1955-56 into SW900Ms, Reading class OE-13.

A RDG OE-3 EMD SW Number 10 I am working on 8 years 4 months ago #5021

terrible lighting, but here's 2 SW 1's at the Coral St engine terminal, at Port Richmond in 1975..plus a few of the other stuff on hand. Al told, 2 SW1's, 2 VO1000m, and 1 or 2 SW1001's on hand plus the road power. I don't think it was common for 6-axle power down this far east, but I could be wrong, at least this late in the game...the line crossing the tracks on the bridge with theety TTX flats in the PRR/PC Trenton Ave high line, which connected with the PRR main and line to Jesy at Frankford Jct. There was a track referred to as the Belgrade St connection that connected the Port Richmond yard with this line and was used to run the transfer round trip between the RDG and the PC's Pavonia Yard in Camden NJ,I believe exclusively for PRSL interchange, as the RDG owned one-third. Interestingly enough, PRSL interchange traffic was set out at their Bulson St yard in south Camden, which was itself ex-RDG dating back to the Atlantic City Railroad days, pre-1933
rdptr3.jpg

rdptr2.jpg

3600coral.st.75.jpg
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Mitch from Maine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDG1519

A RDG OE-3 EMD SW Number 10 I am working on 8 years 4 months ago #5022

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
Thanks for these photo's.
As to six axle power this far east I think these were more common than you might think.
Bethlehem ore trains would use sets of three. Or they would be combined with 4 axle power. From Trainmasters to EMD, ALCO and GE. Lots of photo's of Erie Ave yard show the big units on the ready track or the fuel track.
Jersey City trains used mostly combinations of 4 axle power.
I have photo's of big ALCO 5305 on B&O tracks on the east bank of the Schuykill River.
Chris
Great Grandson of John Kiefer Engineman RDG 1894 to 1932
Member RCT&HS, ARHS, West Jersey Chapter NRHS
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1962
Loss of mail and Railway Express Agency contracts prompts severe cuts in passenger service, including annulment of all service to Shamokin, and the Allentown-Harrisburg trains, and a reduction on remaining routes. RDCs replace most locomotive-hauled trains, freeing former passenger locomotives for freight service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements