FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Modeling XAg/XAf from P2K 50' boxcar?

Modeling XAg/XAf from P2K 50' boxcar? 9 years 8 months ago #3436

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
I know this topic has been dormant for little over a year but looking at the pictures posted by 401 leads me to a question...the location?

LNE-401 were those pictures taken at the small breaker that was located between Tremont and Pinegrove Pa?The scene looks very familiar to me.In fact,I believe that access road next to the trailer led to Blackwood.In its day,Blackwood hosted a huge breaker with a double shafted vertical mine.They say the mine shut down because of the heavy concentration of gas which sealed Blackwood's fate.All that's left are some foundations.

Interestingly,I believe Blackwood's breaker was served by the LVRR.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Modeling XAg/XAf from P2K 50' boxcar? 9 years 8 months ago #3439

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
To update the project:

It got pushed to the back of the shop so to speak because I was having trouble finding an undecorated Branchline kit with the doors I need. Finally found some at the 2014 Spring Thaw ATMA meet, so I should be able to store working on this soon.

One of the kits I bought is 50’ boxcar with “fishbelly” sills and includes Despatch ends. This will be used for my “other” XM project.

Mark
Last Edit: 9 years 8 months ago by MarkFJ.

Modeling XAg/XAf from P2K 50' boxcar? 9 years 8 months ago #3440

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Chris,
I think you are correct on your suspicion as to the location. These were taken a while ago as noted by a fellow modeler friend of mine. As far as the LV serving that I am pretty sure as that route crossed the trestle at Conner (61&183) and when the fire happened, the tracks were immediately pulled.
Next, as this topic started a while back, does anyone have a roof shot of these 50' cars after they came back to the Reading after refurbishing? When I started going through prints and paperwork I came up with a diagonal panel roof as the replacement and Apex A-1 running boards, whereas the Proto 2000 box had simply a raised panel roof. Also are the three panel doors 7' wide will have to be made. It seems like a fair amount of modifying will have to take place, but worth the effort. Bill.

Modeling XAg/XAf from P2K 50' boxcar? 9 years 3 weeks ago #4359

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
Finally have some time devoted to modeling, and doing so bringing this idea back. I worked on a resin master for a double Creco door to use on these boxcars. I'm going to use the flat steel roof for my era, and used the Detail Associates 4/5 Dreadnaught end opposite the auto end doors. Here it is to date, enjoy!

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: t1nut, Rob

Modeling XAg/XAf from P2K 50' boxcar? 9 years 1 week ago #4395

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
Here it is, the finished product! (Less, some subtle weathering chalks) I modeled it with the as built roof, consumed a lot of Micro-Mark rivets in the process. Now, having had the opportunity years back to climb up on an XMv roof, the panel spacing seemed to work out the same for the 50'car. I also used a variety of decal sets to accomplish the project, including those sold by the Reading Modeler, leftovers from the Funaro XAd, XARa kits, and some Diamond Scale Models.

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: t1nut

Modeling XAg/XAf from P2K 50' boxcar? 9 years 1 week ago #4397

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Now THAT is something you don't see everyday! Great work Bill!
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements