FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: RDG FMm

RDG FMm 7 years 11 months ago #5309

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Wow...hard to believe its been two years since I started this topic...time marches on.I originally purchased four of the IM undecorated bulkheads to represent the RDG's FMm units back then and finally got around to finishing the remaining three.
Two reasons for this;
1 Besides the picture of 9280 on page 20 of Bossler's book I searched for other photos but found none.
2 The model itself was kind of a pain to assemble so I put them on the back burner.After becoming more acclimated with the parts the assembly process was quite enjoyable.
Since my on and off two year search found no additional photos of any of the units I decided to have some fun and painted two of them green and added another black painted unit.Now... since I decided to take this route I'm sure some additional prototype photos will emerge somewhere.
The models were assembled using CA as recommended by the manufacturer.Painting was accomplished using SCII,Floquil and Model Master paints.The decals are from the RDG Modeler with some HK's used for the end numbers.The units were weathered with pan pastels and the wood decks received a treatment of Age It Easy #81528 Brown from Micro Mark.The aci plates are from BLMA models #4556.
Photos of the units in order of completion.
9278...on my RDG RR the unit went for shop work and was repainted into the green scheme in April of 72.The shop also had FMj9336 in for work which inspired the paint crew to add the international orange to the grabs of 9278.A nice prototype picture of the 9336 can be found on page 68 of RMC April 95.
Side 1

Side 2

"B" end

View of the deck

9275 went to the shop in April of 75 and received the same paint application.However...it emerged with RDG speed lettering.
Side 1

Side 2

"A" end

9277 was completed this morning...I applied the RDG speed lettering a little differently then what I did on my 9280
Side 1

Side 2

Views of all four completed units.

I know these cars are not prototypical but working with what's available can produce a somewhat realistic RDG car...hope you enjoyed the saga of my FMm's...and can anyone point me in the direction as to where I might find some plaster board loads for these cars?...Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: t1nut

RDG FMm 7 years 11 months ago #5310

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Chris,
First off fantastic job on the flats, I always enjoy studying your weathering techniques! Now, plasterboard loads. Given your modeling ability I shall supply you with a photo of a bulkhead flat on the Chicago Great Western in gypsum service. This should be an easy enough project for you to replicate.

Bill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2771-chris

RDG FMm 7 years 11 months ago #5312

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
To justify Bill's (LNE401) challenge, I believe the significance is that these cars were used for gypsum service on the Reading.

But wait there's more! Check the load on the flat car behind Bill's gypsum load.... A steam tender.

Rob

RDG FMm 7 years 11 months ago #5319

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
Chris they are great looking, I guess I will have to try one. I am just finishing up my XAd boxcar kit from F&C. it was giving me some moments of frustration. but I worked it out. Butch
Butch Curll

RDG FMm 7 years 11 months ago #5320

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
The last visit to the RCT&HS's museum, spring 2014, the store still had 8x10 B&W prints available. Side and a B-end photos were in the binder.

RDG FMm 7 years 11 months ago #5321

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
The photos were the company's official photos of the cars new in black paint with white speed lettering.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 13, 1937
The Reading places the 5-car "Crusader" streamlined passenger trainset into Philadelphia-New York service. This train increases traffic on this line by 37% in 1938.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements