FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: A Reading Modeling Tale

A Reading Modeling Tale 9 years 9 months ago #3260

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Rob,thanks for posting the picture.

Ron&Tom,thanks for the compliment.My goal was to do the 7600 in this scheme.Stepping on and destroying the cab changed all that,now I feel I need to do another unit with the extended cab.Well,time will tell.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A Reading Modeling Tale 8 years 2 months ago #5097

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
Again,I like the alternate history scheme but I still have to convince myself at times.
We all know that in 1966 the RDG came up with 8 locomotive purchasing plans,three of the plans included SD40's.Plans 1 and 4 called for 7 of the units while plan 5 called for 2.
After the RDG received their first order of C630's two of them 5302/04 were sent to the WM for testing out of Thurmont up the 1.94% grade to Highfield.These units were paired with two WM SD40's 7470/71 and each set took its turn to prove their superiority.Accordingly the Alcos experienced wheel slip on the grade and the SD's had to be brought back on line to assist getting the train up to Highfeild.This test prompted the WM to order more SD40's while the RDG ordered more 630's.I guess the high adhesion trucks were a selling point for the RDG.
Anyway,this is what I used to justify doing this model.

The model is the recent SD40 offering from Athearn.SCII and Floquil paints,various detail parts,MS decals and the BLS decal from Rail Graphics.
In all its foobiedom here is my 7501.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HoboPiker

A Reading Modeling Tale 7 years 11 months ago #5344

Fantastic job on the SD45's. You are a Master Modeler.
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2771-chris

A Reading Modeling Tale 7 years 11 months ago #5345

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Fantasy railroading at its finest. A double hit. First, an SD45 in the final all green scheme, and second, an SD40 (With porches!) in the same scheme. Moving to Colorado in 1974, and being surrounded by SD40s on the Grande, MoPac, Santa Fe and Uncle Pete's lines, I felt short changed that the Reading opted for the model 45 instead of the 40. Short changed no longer. Now can visualize the Reading's SD40s topping Rockhill with an ore extra, growling out of Lofty tunnel and surmounting Locust Summit. Chris - Thank You! PS: Add pooling with WM SD40s to those visuals. <W>
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2771-chris

A Reading Modeling Tale 7 years 11 months ago #5347

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
Here is an SD-40-2. That I did about 12 years ago
image_2016-05-23.jpg
Butch Curll

A Reading Modeling Tale 7 years 11 months ago #5348

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Foreign power on Tony Koester's Allegheny Midland on 26 FEB 1989 included Reading SD-50 #7500 and two SD40-2's #7304 & 7300 built by Greg Yanos with decals we had created for our 1985 era Reading six axles. First photo is at Midland Yard.

photoscans_0059.jpg

Second photo of SD-50 with AM C-430 3103 on Allegheny Midland at Big Springs Jct.

IRodetheReadingCA-RR_0004.jpg
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Rob. Reason: added road numbers
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 6, 1945
#2100, the first T-1 4-8-4 steam locomotive, is outshopped at Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements