FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: A Reading Modeling Tale

A Reading Modeling Tale 9 years 9 months ago #3236

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
The Reality;

I guess my inspiration for doing this model came to me back in the mid 80's when I was first exposed to the RCT&HS's layout set up in Pottsville.Running on the layout was a team of,I believe,SD40's in the final green scheme with the bee line service logo in yellow.At the time I didn't know the RDG never had these units on their roster,but I always liked the look.
Back in 2010 fellow member Francis P.sent me some decals for a certain one of a kind RDG paint scheme.Since I already had a model of this particular unit I knew I would use these on a special project.I just had to decide the how's and why's and pull the trigger.
It's 2014 and I finally decided,what the hell some thing different.I decided on the SD45 model so I started the project about 7 weeks ago.Of course I started with the cab extension and after completing that portion of the project a major set back happened.When I closed down the work bench for the night I unknowingly knocked the cab off the work bench and the following morning I accidentally stepped on it.Needless to describe my reaction.Luck would have it,I had a spare cab in my parts drawer and after a meeting with the Owner,CEO and lone Trusty (me,myself and I) decided to take a different approach.
Well the paint has been applied and its time to apply the decals.Guess what,the decals fell apart and there was no way to salvage them.I guess after two major mishaps on this project the RDG gods are trying to tell me something.What to do? I know I'll plead for help on the RDG modeler.
At this time I would like to thank Tom for pointing me to John Caples.A big thank you to John who allowed me to use his artwork and get new decals printed.

Story to continue...bad storm moving in.
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by 2771-chris. Reason: title change
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A Reading Modeling Tale 9 years 9 months ago #3237

• 2771-chris
WOW! What a storm...heavy rain,high winds and hail.

I guess I had to convince myself into doing this because proto typically this model never roamed RDG rails.What came to mind was unit 2763.Since I demolished the completed extended cab work I came up with this scenerio,RDG SD45 7600 leading two other unnamed RDG units was involved in a rear end collision and received heavy damage to the cab.Thankfully there were no major injuries to the crew.Management decided the unit was worth saving and so it was sent to Paducah were a conventional cab was installed along with dash 2 electrical components.Since electrical dash 2 components were upgraded to this unit it was decided to change the unit number to 7605 and retire #7600. Sounds good to me.

So,let's get some pictures up.Maybe this would have happened if the RDG lasted ten more years.
The unit was painted using SCII southern green and Floquil reefer yellow.The trucks and fuel tank received Floquils weathered black.The grills received PS oily black.Decals used were from RG and MS.Light weathering was done with pencil,black and white powders all sealed using dull coat.
Engineer's side

Fireman's side

Front and back

View from above and a close up of the left flank

Although there were set backs along the way I like the results.Hope you all like the interpretation.Remember model railroading is fun but sometimes frustrating. Happy fourth!!!

A Reading Modeling Tale 9 years 9 months ago #3238

• 2771-chris
My 7605 teamed up with 3613

7605 sandwiched between two roster mates

A Reading Modeling Tale 9 years 9 months ago #3239

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
I have come across a number of "foobie" Reading locomotive paint schemes during the time I've been modeling. I have to say, this one looks really good - very "low key" and plausible in that it's not a big departure from the all-green scheme used on the 39-2's and 40-2's.

Would have been nice for the Reading to have lasted a bit longer, it would have been interesting to see how their painting kept up with trends on newer motive power.
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

A Reading Modeling Tale 9 years 9 months ago #3242

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Here are those two SD40-2's built by Gregg Yanos pulling a B&O coal drag on the layout at Norm Rhoads' Train Shop in Morgantown, PA back around 1985.

5-16-2014_057-2.jpg

A Reading Modeling Tale 9 years 9 months ago #3243

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Chris, You did a nice job replicating something that could of been. It does capture the essence of the RDG with their billboard style of advertising and promotion. Again nice job!
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements