FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Athern RS-3 run

New Athern RS-3 run 9 years 4 months ago #3862

Can anyone explain why this run has the short hood designated as front? Never saw any photos, even builder's photos, of any order of RS-3's with the short hood designated as front. Otherwise, a good model, some might say a good starting point....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Athern RS-3 run 9 years 4 months ago #3864

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Not seeing any of these Ath. units in person was wondering if the F1 designation was applied to both sides of the frame short hood forward or was the F1 just applied to the right side frame?
RDG's passenger RS3's(460/475)were,I believe,delivered with duel control stands.This might be the reason for the F1 marking short hood forward.
Checking my resources I found one picture that supports this.On page 188 of P.K. Withers book,Diesels of the RDG Co.,there is a 3/4 short hood forward shot of 468 and the F1 is clearly visible on the frame.Again,its the only unit I found with this application.Maybe Joanna Bill can shed more light on this.

New Athern RS-3 run 9 years 4 months ago #3868

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
The only light I can shed, is that the dual controls were added by taking the controls out of the trade-in FA-1's. To me there's so much to add the Athearn unit that I wouldn't base my decision on that lettering.

New Athern RS-3 run 9 years 4 months ago #3869

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
Here are 2 boiler-equipped units.
Attachments:

New Athern RS-3 run 9 years 4 months ago #3870

The Withers book that Chris mentions is one that I don't have. My own experiences on the Reading on RS-3's, even though they were bring phased out, never saw any, even the dual control units, with short hood being marked as front. As a comment, in my time on the Reading while these engines were still in service, most of the dual controls were removed in these units. I only had road trip with one of thse units in the consist that had both stands in it yet. A Reading to Bridegport to Rutherford turn, but that's a whole 'nother story......

New Athern RS-3 run 9 years 4 months ago #3910

Chris, are you sure it's a P.K. Withers book? I searched the net, only book I could find by him was a 1987 Southern book.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 6, 1945
#2100, the first T-1 4-8-4 steam locomotive, is outshopped at Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements