FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: GP 35 Question

GP 35 Question 9 years 3 months ago #4090

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
I ordered two of the Kato GP35's undecorated which hopefully will show up soon.In anticipation I've been studying various pictures of RDG's first five units(3620/24)and came across pictures of 3621/24 which leads me to my question.On these units on the side frame above the jacking plates it is painted yellow with something printed in the yellow field.
My question,does anyone have any info on why this was done? I'm thinking about modeling at least one unit like this.Must have been important because they even relocated the builder plates.
Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GP 35 Question 9 years 3 months ago #4097

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
Chris:

Not to nit-pick, bu the first 5 units were 3620 - 3625 (ex 6501-6506). I'll check my photos, but ws the photo you refer to dated? This will help in tracking down the answer to your question. Also an FYI, the pilots on 3620-3625 were different then 3626 to 3645 and of course 3646-3655 had plows on both ends. 3656 was totally different and had radiator grills and ohter features mode like early GP-40's. Maybe RDG 5310 has more insight into your question.

Look closely at the attached photo, no other RGD GP-35 (this is a 1965 model) looked like this.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2771-chris

GP 35 Question 9 years 3 months ago #4101

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Chris,

To best answer your question, I would have to call this an "anomaly". 3624 is the unit in question and I'm thinking it was for training purposes. There's no other explanation for this and the only one I can think of. I posted pictures out of my collection of 3624. You'll see in the first shot taken on 11/74 the painted jack pads, but in the second pic shot in 4/75, all is normal. As far as builders plates goes, I'm not sure why the relocation of those plates. I noticed some GP35's are missing those plates. If you take notice 3620,22 and 25 have their plates in the normal location. 3623 has plates missing. 3621 had it plates relocated just like 3624. I posted a shot of 3621 that jack pads had yellow on them. But It looks to me like the unit was lifted and the paint scraped off reveling the original yellow stripe (maybe), not sure there. But you will notice that the yellow is on the front pads only. I can see scuff marks on the diamond also. So I don't know if this unit was derailed and scuffed up while lifting. But it does add some interest to your models. Hope this helps.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2771-chris

GP 35 Question 9 years 3 months ago #4103

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
Here is another view of 3621. This was taken in 1976, no special markings.
Attachments:

GP 35 Question 9 years 2 months ago #4214

• rdg-barry
  • Thank you received: 44
how timely is this post... working on a Kato GP35 as well. By the pictures, looks like I have some repainting of the hand rails... front/rear appear to be all yellow. Plus the lift bar and pilot handrail is yellow.

My main questions is what type of horn was used?
I have a soundtraxx decoder and can select from about 20 different horns.

Lastly... I have a spare Kato GP35 #3645 in RDG yellow/green paint, weathered, slight foot board damage. It is missing an idler gear in the front truck - contacted Kato and it looks like they will be sending me one. This was missing the gear from the factory. This is a DC only loco... unless you add a decoder. FOR SALE!! $50 plus shipping.

I'll post a picture in a bit...
Thanks,
Barry

GP 35 Question 9 years 2 months ago #4215

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Barry,

Those horns are Leslie's. I use Custom finishing #221. This is a low mount kit and the bells can be arranged according to the loco your doing. If you look at the prototype pictures, you'll notice the Rdg didn't keep the bells in a uniformed set up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg-barry
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

June 20-23, 1972
The Reading is devastated by Hurricane Agnes; washouts and damage across the system require significant effort to repair, and also hasten the abandonment of marginal branches.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements