FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Modeling Grace Mine

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4174

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Did not know about the additional trains for foreign ore. I believe I read somewhere that the bentonite cars were picked up on the way down at Birdsboro and that sometimes the foreign ore was added there too, and that may have often been in Pennsy or PC hoppers. That would all be considered hearsay, by the way. (not to be confused with heresy for having the Pennsy cars on the Reading LOL)

In your plan would you just swap cars at the mine or would you task the operator to shove them through the loader? at hump speed of course.....

To unload the incoming ore cars (which in turn would be at Grace to be pelletized) would they be required to be placed on the shaker. It looked like that could only handle two maybe three cars at a time, and was a fairly short siding, not a pull or push through?? (from photos I looked at)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4177

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
Hoppers with foreign ore included Pennsy, B&O, Reading, and no doubt NYC. The second shaker in the photo was installed in early 1967. Second attempt at adding the photo.

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4179

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
Here is the photo of the Car Shakers in action. Having lived (and still live) within sight of the mine, I will tell you that those shakers made a terrific racket.
Attachments:

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4196

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Well, you've got us all peekin on grace mine here Bill, how bout posting what you have so far for a track plan...

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4200

• RobHinkle
  • Freight Agent
  • Thank you received: 9
On the topic of Grace Mine has anyone picked up the new offering from John Pechulis Media - Anthracite Railroads in the 70's Volume 1: Wilmington and Northern Branch?

johnpmedia.com/mediastore/index.php?main...ath=1&products_id=35

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4208

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
my son picked one up. some of the footage shows some very rough trackage, with engines and cars rocking and rolling side to side.
Butch Curll
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1962
Loss of mail and Railway Express Agency contracts prompts severe cuts in passenger service, including annulment of all service to Shamokin, and the Allentown-Harrisburg trains, and a reduction on remaining routes. RDCs replace most locomotive-hauled trains, freeing former passenger locomotives for freight service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements