FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Modeling Grace Mine

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 2 months ago #4152

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
This topic started under the heading of Reading's HTw hoppers, but is worth a separate topic. I'm working on a trackplan to model the W&N from Birdsboro to Elverson at a minimum. Bill Stafford has already published three (3) Grace Mine articles in the BEE LINE, but my interest stems from growing up looking out our front window at the mine and knowing many of the employees. Here's a photo to give you an idea of the immense nature of the site.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 2 months ago #4153

• JoannaBill
And another photo
Attachments:

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4159

This looks like a great project for "V-scale" (for example, TRAINZ) computer simulation.

Checking on the base maps, it looks like the USGS Birdsboro, Elverson and Morgantown 7.5 x 7.5 quadrangles cover the area. The mine itself is in the Morgantown quadrangle.

I downloaded the 1947 Birdsboro, 1954 Elverson and 1956 Morgantown quads from the USGS.gov website to get a better look.

The quad depicts the "J-curved" storage yard with about 4 tracks as well as a fifth track next to a large building on the west side of the complex. Is this correct?

There are two tracks to buildings on the northeast side. One is black, meaning it is older, the other is magenta meaning it was added as an update for that particular edition of the map.

Fascinating (and tempting).

George

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4161

• JoannaBill
George:

The entire yard was built at the same time. The four track (lower) yard, the "J" as you called it was modified when the large building (pellet plant) and associated loading bins were completed in 1960-1961.

I'm comitted to modweling in the HO scale world, not the virtual world.

The BEE LINE, Volume 24, Numbers 3 & 4, of 2002 has an article that discusses the development of the mine and the various buildings.

The first iteration of my track plan is 60-percent complete. At least one re-design will follow. MOre to come.

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4168

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
This could be much for feasible in N :P

Modeling Grace Mine 9 years 1 month ago #4171

• JoannaBill
Well, N would make a great layout for a plant this size, but my 60-year old eyes have enough difficulty with HO scale, plus I have HTc, HTd, HTe and HTw hoppers, RS-3's (444-450) and the proper caboose in my collection already. Not only was it empty hoppers in/ loads out, there was foreign ore in / off line empties out, bentonite in/ empties out, empty gondolas in / pyrites out and miscellaneous deliveries like ingot molds sent for on the ground storage.

When foreign ore was running, there could be two (2) trains per day. all in all, a great layour for one or two operators.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 9, 1839
The entire Main Line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad was opened.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements